Access NFS directory from Windows Server

When you “add source” it will only show you directories. Files will only be shown after you added a main folder as source

Unless you allowed root access (by clicking on the “Permissions” button in the dialog from your first post), root_squash is in effect, so it makes sense that it does nothing. As an aside, you can disable all the Kerberos authentication…it isn’t used by OSMC (or pretty much any other NFS client).

On the Windows server, run the following at the command line and show us the output:

icacls "D:\NFS\VSVR-WEB040 data"

This appears to be where you are sharing (based on your screenshot), even though you claim you are mounting a share named “Videos”. You might need to change the path to match where you are sharing.

If you aren’t sure where the share is, run the Windows Powershell ISE (from the Administrative Tools menu), and type:

get-NfsShare

Even if you do know where the share is, this does give info about the share name.

You can then do:

get-NfsSharePermission

Enter the name of the share after the prompt.

When I run this command I can clearly see each individual file and the file details

If you can see the files from the command line, then when you add the source and set it to Movies (or what is proper), they should show up in the library.

Do you have your directory structure setup as suggested in the Kodi wiki? Show an example of how your files are organized.

The directory structure is:
single folder “Videos” with 2 folders inside “movies” and “tvshows” with a mix of files and folders beneath each. When I add the source via the Kodi gui I can not click past the 2 folders “movies” or “tvshows”.

output for get-NfsShare:

PS C:\Users\Administrator> get-NfsShare

Name   Availability             Path     
----   ------------             ----     
Videos Standard (not clustered) D:\Videos

output for get-NfsSharePermission:

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Get-NfsSharePermission
cmdlet Get-NfsSharePermission at command pipeline position 1
Supply values for the following parameters:
Name: Videos

Name   ClientName   Permission  AllowRootAccess
----   ----------   ----------  ---------------
Videos 10.0.0.80    READ, WRITE True           
Videos All Machines READ, WRITE True

output for icacls “D:/Videos” (this is the correct path vs the one mentioned in the initial picture in my original post.

C:\Users\Administrator>icacls "D:/Videos"
D:/Videos BUILTIN\Administrators:(F)
          BENSERVER\None:(R,W,DC)
          Everyone:(R,W,DC)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

How are the files arranged and named? For TV Shows, each show must be in a separate directory. For movies that must be named correctly to scan. Have you tried running the scan yet?

Read this page for more information about proper naming of files and directories:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files

I don’t understand the file arrangement & names would impact me being able to open the directory they are located in - when I click on the directory nothing happens. I just created a new folder below my top level directory, once I remounted the NFS I could see it both in the CLI and Kodi GUI but still could not click into the folder.

Have you tried scanning the library yet? When you are adding a source, the individual files will not show. If you want to see the actual files, you need to use the Kodi file browser.

There are several possible issues.

First, the Windows OS doesn’t even have permissions to the directory…every directory and file really needs something like the following, with at least the “(F)” for “Full Control”:

NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(OI)(CI)(F)

It’s possible icacls is acting a bit differently on your server and not showing that, but it is possible to remove permissions for the OS.

Second, the listed permissions are not propagated to (or in Windows terms, inherited by) any subdirectories. So, there’s no way to know whether those have correct permissions.

Last, “Everyone” is a special beast that doesn’t really mean what the word means. For example:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/278259/everyone-group-does-not-include-anonymous-security-identifier

There are various group policy settings that can change what, exactly, is included in “Everyone”. Because of this (and a lot of other reasons), it’s best to never use “Everyone” to grant permissions.

That did it!! The user permissions did not populate down to the sub folders which is why I could only see the top level. Right now it defaulted to Everyone but I can change it. I can see everything below and play my files

Thanks for all the help.