Accessing & Managing Attached Storage Data (Linux Mint 19.2 Tine)

Greetings and salutations, all!

I am running a Raspberry Pi model 3B+. The OSMC imaage I am running is OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20190808.img. My computer being used is running Linux Mint 19.2 Tina (Bionic).

I utilize a 3TB Western Digital MyBook external hard drive as attached storage.

I am looking for instructions on how to access and manage the data on the attached storage in Linux Mint rather than only the storage on the micrSD card. Looking at the card’s folders is very simple within Linux Mint’s file explorer utility.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Google on how to setup an NFS server/share on debian (the OS that OSMC is based on), then add that NFS share on your Mint client device.

Hi! Thank you. Which version of Debian do you speak of? Lenny, Wheezy or Stetch? (7,8,9, respectively)

Don’t overthink it too much… NFS hasn’t changed that much…

osmc@osmctest:~$ cat /etc/debian_version

Nah, just making sure which version since the instructions I found had three different versions.

Either way, I’m understanding there is no native solution within the UI (ie-toggle).

I also cannot SSH into it. “Too many failed authentication attempts,” is encountered the first time I try to connect. Hence, my preferring a UI native solution. I won’t mess with the command line on pre-built packages as it is.

Thank you for your thoughts, however.

You could install the Samba Server from the App Store that has an automount option that will make all attached drives available via the network.

Suggest to seriously check that, there most be a reason for that.

You don’t happen to have port 22 forwarded on your router do you? If you do, and especially if you didn’t change the osmc password then you most likely have had your system compromised, so you probably need to re-install OSMC.

Let’s see if I can get this on the right order…

Never do.

I think that’s it. Ok. So, what I did, anyhow, was rebuild OSMC onto the card and started it all over from scratch, especially since all of my data is on external storage. Something clicked just right on its own, apparently. I installed the SMB server and was the only extra thing I had to do beyond updates and regional setting (and change the SSH password for being safe).

Thank you, all, for your thoughts and time. I believe I’m all set, now. My old MyCloud is offline thanks to OSMC.