After RPi 1 fresh reinstall unable to browse SMB

I have a pair of RPi 1 [(c)2011,12 version] and I’ve been running OSMC on them for years. Over this past weekend one of them booted to the icon and froze, and after some failed troubleshooting I decided to do a fresh install. Unfortunately I can’t seem to establish an SMB connection to my Windows 10 host that is serving the files that I watch – I just get errors, like Error 2: share not available, when I try to browse. Not sure why I’m having trouble with this configuration. Is there a “For Idiots” guide to accessing my Windows share via SMB? My other RPi has no issues, so can I grab the config from there? I have no problem using SSH or SCP.

Some logs would help to evaluate the differences between the two installations.

It’s also possible one of the installations has become corrupted

Logs from new installation:
https://paste.osmc.tv/hegixiboso

error browsing SMB as well as trying to connect to the specific share
2024-01-08 22:50:51.939 T:2979074064 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : ‘smb://’
unix_err:‘2’ error : ‘No such file or directory’
2024-01-08 23:14:37.141 T:2979074064 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting smb://
2024-01-08 23:14:37.142 T:2979074064 ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(smb://) failed
2024-01-08 23:14:45.223 T:2979074064 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : ‘smb://’
unix_err:‘2’ error : ‘No such file or directory’
2024-01-08 23:14:47.330 T:2979074064 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting smb://
2024-01-08 23:14:47.330 T:2979074064 ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(smb://) failed
2024-01-08 23:15:43.680 T:2979074064 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : ‘smb://watson/Media’
unix_err:‘1’ error : ‘Operation not permitted’
2024-01-08 23:15:52.328 T:2979074064 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting smb://watson/Media

Yes you can. You could use something like Win32DiskImager and just image the SD from the working RPi and then write that image to the other SD. This gives you a complete clone and you can even keep the image to use as a backup (zip the image before storing to make it smaller). You can also use either the “Backup” add-on in Kodi’s repository, or the backup function found in the My OSMC add-on to make a backup of Kodi’s userdata and then use the same tool to restore to the new install. You could also if you want just copy /home/osmc/.kodi from one to the other. You would need to go to the terminal and stop Kodi before copying to the new install (systemctl stop mediacenter).

I actually tried loading the backup from my existing system on top of a clean installation, and saw the file location on the UI, but got errors when trying to browse. Don’t have logs of that. It was after that failed that I did another clean install, and am trying to get SMB to work with the clean install.

After doing more digging wondering if I should try switching to the “mount via fstab” approach (Configuring fstab based Samba share mounts)

The log you posted above doesn’t show any sources or system mounts configured so it isn’t clear to me how exactly you had it originally setup. If you could post some logs from the system that is working then perhaps that could prove insightful to how the new system needs to be configured. If you were using a system mount before that may explain the issue with the restore. If your working system is using a fstab based mount you would need to make sure that you had backed up and restored the fstab configuration file, or if using autofs then you would need to both restore its files as well as install autofs itself. If you are only using Kodi smb paths they should have just worked as any version limites or passwords should have transferred.

OK, I went to my working system to verify the SMB information there, and then went to my new system and rather than trying to browse I explicitly added the smb://user:password@host/ path and now I see it. So I’m unblocked.

Thanks for the support!

1 Like