Alsa doesn't work after last update

Hello,
yesterday i updated my osmc on Raspberry Pi 2 and after update mpd, which i use to play audio when tv is, off stop working.
It looks that problem is with alsa, because alsa cant see any sound card.

If i run alsamixer

root@osmc:/home/osmc# which alsamixer
/usr/bin/alsamixer
root@osmc:/home/osmc# /usr/bin/alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory

if i run aplay -l

root@osmc:/home/osmc# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:268: no soundcards found…

Could you please help, how to fix it?

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. Please see How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC for advice on how to help us.

Try adding dtparam=audio=on to /boot/config.txt

7 Likes

Thank you very much fzinken, you suggestion solve my problem.

Just came here to say thank you to fzinken!

I had the same problem after the update with MDP!
And your solution helped me.

You`re the best!

Hi all,
as Da_FluX, just here to thanks fzinken, and osmc in fact for the greatl work!
But, just to understand, we need to activate audio on boot, therefore it seems not to be a problem for OSMC… Can you explain?

Not 100% sure what you mean with your comment. For the time being you once have to add dtparam=audio=on to /boot/config.txt. This will then be applied after a restart and for the future.
If you don’t want to that just wait for the december update where it will be added to OSMC automatically.

1 Like

Thank you very much fzinken, you suggestion solve my problem too.

THANK YOU! This has been bugging me for a week!

Thank you very much, I’ve struggle for it for about one week. It really works.

This worked for me, too! Much appreciated – I spent HOURS trying to fix audio on my R-PI 2!

I just wanted to add my thanks to fzinken as well… Adding dtparam=audio=on to /boot/config.txt fixed this problem for me.

I’m going to just add in the error messages I received, to help anyone else who might be googling for this solution. Here’s what my Raspberry Pi was reporting:

ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card ‘0’
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default

Thank you so much fzinken for you help!!! Been having this issue since i updated my pi and your fix worked!

Just made an account here just to say thanks! This was my fix after few hours of research.
It should be higher in the google results :slight_smile:

Thank you! fzinken. It has been down for 2 weeks.

Thanks fzinken! This has been driving me batty all morning, and my usual trouble-shooting failed. x86 has me spoiled.

If your soundcard isn’t detected, but you’ve already confirmed that you’ve loaded the snd_bcm2835 module, this is probably your solution.

I created an acc here just to thank you fzinken! It helped me too!

1 Like

2 years and 14k views on this later, I’m commenter 17 to say THANKS and thats the only reason I made the account here!!! Stupid me removed this line with some others and couldn’t for the life of me figure out why it wouldn’t work! Great Job Fzinken!!!

1 Like

I thought I had this enabled by default, but don’t remember off the top of my head now.