And Again... can't access to my SMB Windows 10 Shared

I have read some similar thread and also some recent thread but apparently i can’t found a solution it’s ok on my setup.
I have a PC with latest windows 10 build currently. There’s a fixed ip on my personal lan… it’s 192.168.1.2.

On my Pi2 OSMC Setup i have currently set the client SMB minial and maximal to V3 after i read some other thread… restart osmc but apparently not works.

I have tryed to create a new source… i have tryed to put address in many modes:

• I have tryed “smb://” it’s acceptable but after that i obtain a empty list. Apparently my shared not works ?
  • I have also tryed to put directly “smb://192.168.1.2/” and i obtain the errors “Operation not permitted”.

I have also tryed so many other ways… how i can check ?

Hi,

Have you added as username and password to:

~/.kodi/userdata/passwords.xml

SMB v3 requires a login.

Thanks Tom.

Currently i stay to test everythinks…
How i need to add a password on this files ?
Currently i have this files but it’s completely empty.

<passwords>
</passwords>

I have need to put somethings… but directly for my ip or for group “workgroup” ?

Otherwise the windows login it’s my email address and it’s need the “@”… if i put on the .xml it’s not conflict ?

EDIT
I have also tryed… put this on passwords.xml.

<passwords>
    <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://192.168.1.2/</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://osmc:osmc@192.168.1.2/</to>
    </path>
</passwords>

I have restart my Pi2 but nothings… i have also tryed to reach from source… and also from networks procedure wizard insert my PC Name and directly the ip of pc.
No apparently works… ever Operation not permetted.

From SSH connected to my Pi2 i can ping correctly my pc… and look this:

root@osmc:~# smbclient --list=192.168.1.2
WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
Enter root's password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[mypcname-PC] OS=[Windows 10 Home 18363] Server=[Windows 10 Home 6.3]

Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Connection to 192.168.1.2 failed (Error NT_STATUS_RESOURCE_NAME_NOT_FOUND)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available
root@osmc:~#

I don’t have idea how i can do…

I’m not sure if email address will work. If it doesn’t you could try just creating a new normal login in windows which has access to shares and add those credentials to password.xml

Tom.

oh ok… otherwise on this pc i have another account… it’s named “osmc”… i have created some time ago and in the pass it’s works.
I don’t have idea when it’s stop to works… problably after recently windows update or osmc update.

Try smbclient -U osmc -L 192.168.1.2

interesting… now it’s totally different… it’s say:

root@osmc:~# smbclient -U osmc -L 192.168.1.2
WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
Enter osmc's password:
Domain=[xxxxxx-PC] OS=[Windows 10 Home 18363] Server=[Windows 10 Home 6.3]

Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        ADMIN$          Disk      Amministrazione remota
        C$              Disk      Condivisione predefinita
        D$              Disk      Condivisione predefinita
        File Condivisi  Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC remoto
        Users           Disk
Connection to 192.168.1.2 failed (Error NT_STATUS_RESOURCE_NAME_NOT_FOUND)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available
root@osmc:~#

Well that at least proves that connection is possible.
We now could start digging into what goes wrong in Kodi or if you want to switch from Kodi mounts to autofs mounts walk you through that.

OMG OMG… i don’t know how i have touched but now… IT’S WORK AGAIN :slight_smile:
The last things i have do it’s set again the “osmc” user password from a command prompt… i have used "net user osmc ". I have back on front of my tv and baaam… now it’s works.

But i’m not fully sure if it’s the real solution :slight_smile: You thinks the smbclient from ssh as helped to resolved this issue ?

Wait a moment… it’s possible to manage the windows share folder in a different mode ?

Not sure what you mean?

you speak about kodi mount or autofs mount… it’s different way to access my smb shared folder ? it’s better ? pro & cons ?

Well the pro’s would be better performance.
The Cons are that you have a step outside of Kodi.
Checkout this two threads

Very interest… otherwise i use this SMB folder for share little files like mp3 or jpg or zip files usually.
I know the limit of SMB share…

For other things usually i use (like if i need to move large files) one pendrive of 64GB attached to my Pi2 and i copy from my pc to this using FTP :)… also by LAN good copy speed is obtained.

EDIT
For the moment… i need to go to sleep.
I hope that continue to works on next reboot of my pc… if not and if need help i try to back here to report all issue.

If it were me, I would access an SMB share using autofs. The performance is significantly better.

Problably yes… but in my case i don’t really need speed for moment because i use this smb share for little files.

A curiosity… if i used autofs and my pc it’s turned off i obtain some errors on kodi ?

If you did, wouldn’t that be expected behavior? Would you not expect errors if using any other method? If use of Kodi was not dependent on this source being available would it even matter?

problably i can’t understand good your message (remember my english it’s not to good)… problably i can try to explain better because i expect an errors using autofs.
Right now i use SMB… if i try to access to SMB and my pc it’s turned off i obtain an errors, if i remember, kodi say “Networks unreachable” or somethigs similar.
Autofs it’s be automount this shared folder when kodi as been launched right ? If my PC it’s turned off at this moment ? How append ? the mount it’s fail ? kodi report errors on log ?

I understand autofs it’s best solution respect smb shares but i want to know pro and cons…

You get Path not found or invalid in Files mode and This file is no longer available in Library mode.

When try to access it ? Or at boot of osmc because it fail to mount it ?

There will be no errors while booting as the shares are not mounted until you actually try to access them.

1 Like