Android dual boot now available for Vero 2

Rebooting without the SD card inserted got me back to OSMC, so I knew that was OK. I then rebooted again WITH the SD card inserted and I get Android. Yay!

As others have pointed out, though, I’m limited as to what I can do with it, as there’s no way I’m going to download anything other than through the Google store, at least for now (I’m an Apple user, so have limited experience of Android!). The keyboard/ mouse do seem to work, though.

The ‘Official’ remote seems to have limited, if any, functionality beyond the high-level icons.

I did manage to get back to OSMC from Android but it was purely by ‘luck’ that it happened - no idea what I did!

Thanks for the development work - it adds a new angle to the Vero & will, in due course, allow all sorts of facilities/ options not available in OSMC (like accessing English TV stations within the UK!)

Graham

Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot and return to proper osmc

The Android image has the name android in the file name. You can either download this manually and select it in the installer, or check the log for verification.

This means that Vero 2 tried to boot Android, but couldn’t find it on your SD card. This would suggest that you have imaged OSMC to an SD card instead of Android.

Sam

APKs installed manually are fine (we have some instructions in the Wiki on this). Due to licensing restrictions, you will need to install Google Play via this method if you wish to use it at the very least.

That’ll get ironed out – remember this is an initial release.

We could try a two button combination or something that if held, initiates a reboot to OSMC?

Sam

@sam_nazarko, how do we install gapps or at least Google Play Store?

Covered this in an above post. I was able to install an APK (had to enable Untrusted Sources first). But I will research a more reliable way to do this. We need a good source and a better way to deploy this.

I mentioned above that I tried that with an apk from apkmirror. I was able to install Google Store but it won’t run.

I’ve imagined that the Andoid version will start Kodi on boot, and have plugins that will install gapps and some common apks. It is the same case with the Linux image: without Kodi and OSMC programs is not usable without keyboard or ssh.

And another thought: can’t we use the phone as a remote? Does Android has this kind of functionality? Screen mirroring to the phone/tablet or something…

I have the same problem, correct version but just crashes and closes when I try to open the play store

I don’t think you want to start Kodi on Android. That’s not the intention of Android on Vero 2. It’s not meant to replace OSMC and become just another Android device, and Android will usually have an inferior playback experience compared to Linux

Looking at launchers that are more friendly for the TV, here are a few suggestions:

You should be able to download the APK and install them (you’ll need to enable support for unknown sources first).

Sam

First i want to say thank you for making android enable to run.

My reasons why i want to use android on vero2 is just the streaming services (Amazon, Netflix, Maxdome). Out of the box, they don’t run properly, after installing google play services, i was able to start the apps but there are a view problems:

all of the named apps crashes after a view seconds or sometimes immediately. Maxdome is not able to check that i am connectet via LAN, here u must enable wifi. But at the moment none of the named apps i was able to start a movie. They all crashed before that :frowning:

Maybe there will come a more stable or more configured version of android in the near future, but at the moment, i can’t use it for what i want it.

btw, i also installed play store but it also crashes.

With some time i think it will run more stabile.

for now Thanks for ur hard work :slight_smile:

This is a bug with some apps. I think there is an App you can use to fake being connected to a WiFi hotspot while staying connected over LAN.

I haven’t heard of Maxdome until now, but I will see if I can try Netflix.

Sam

thank you

This will be also my only usecase for android. But I would wait for Kodi 17. Of what I read it will be able to playback those streams. It’s just a matter of time I think for the first addons to be made. I don’t know about maxdome but on an amazon prime video addon is already worked on, netfilix will follow.

Have you got any stats on whether this is being used or not by people? I used it once but much prefer the linux based image.

We don’t have active user stats for this.

It looks like we’ve had a fair few people download and try it though.

Sam

still cant get play store to run, keeps crashing, any pointers?

I will look at this soon. I just grabbed an APK using ‘Internet Browser’ and it worked. I had to install the Google Play Services first though and enable ‘Unknown Sources’

Any news on Android?

Whilst I can boot to it, I still haven’t a clue as to how I install an APK or get it to actually do anything!

Regards,
Graham