Android dual boot now available for Vero 2

OK.

On the whole, I’ll probably stick with the store but it’s useful to know which site(s) can be trusted for Google apps, other than the store (although the Store isn’t entirely foolproof, I gather).

One remaining issue:

When I started out with the Android side, I needed to change the Settings to allow me to install third party applications, by enabling ‘Unknown sources’.

I want to turn that off, at least for the default state. However, I can’t find a Settings icon anywhere to allow me to adjust Android - I have a Google settings but that seems to be for my Google account, rather than the above permissions setting.

How can I install (I assume there is one) an icon/ application to allow me to access this setting or is there an easy alternative way to do so?

Thanks,
Graham

Under App ‘MBoxSettings’ there should be an option called More Settings.

Thanks, Sam.

I wouldn’t have looked there!

I did notice, however, in the MBoxSettings, under ‘Advanced’, that my location is shown as Shanghai, which is odd.

I can’t see any obvious way of changing the Shanghai location to London.

Graham

Yes – I greyed that out so that it doesn’t override the default system settings. Shouldn’t be anything to worry about.

The MBoxSettings application comes from the SoC vendor itself, but it is slightly modified for the Vero 2 (Android isn’t completely my area).

Sam

I do keep getting the Chinese keyboard though!

Could there be a relationship?

Graham

You can select the language of the keyboard under Input

Thanks, Sam.

Done that (UK Keyboard, Wifi etc. settings for location) but the location in Mbox Settings-Advanced still shows my location as Shanghai & there seems to be no way to change it.

Graham

Hi Graham

That is greyed out – you shouldn’t need to change it.

Sam

Hi Sam.

What exactly is greyed out?

Under MBox Settings/Advanced, I can see a box with two locations, both Shanghai. I can switch between them & if I click on them there is a pop-up box in what I assume is Chinese, showing Province options.

If it helps, I can post a photo of the screen in question.

Graham

Hi Graham

I don’t really understand your question.

As explained previously, these options under this launcher have no effect on the Android system and you shouldn’t need to worry about these settings

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam.

It’s just disconcerting that the system says it thinks I’m in China! If that’s all it is, I can live with it.

Graham

The system shouldn’t think that; but that individual application may say that.

I don’t think it’s anything to worry about but if you need me to look in to it I can try and do so next week

Sam

I don’t think there’s a rush but there may be an advantage understanding why it shows Shanghai, when it’s patently not the case.

I suspect that, at some point, someone else will ask the question.

Would a photo of the screen be helpful (since it’s on a TV, not sure how else I can show the actual display)?

Graham

Hi Graham

I can see that too, so no need for a photo.

It will show this setting as it cannot properly query the TZ. I’ve (hopefully) effectively nullified this setting, without being too invasive in modifying the SoC vendor’s upstream application.

I’ll patch it to show Blighty, and give everyone some peace of mind :slight_smile:

Sam

Sam/Team OSMC,
Will we be able to update to Krypton and still maintain boot up in Android and OSMC?

Android runs off SD, so should be unaffected.
You may need to re-enable the Android switching add-on in Programs after updating.

Are there now any improvements to android?

Support for the remote without using a mouse or a keyboard
Amazon and Netflix Plugins crashed all the time <-- is that now fixed and stable?

Thanks

‘You may need to re-enable the Android switching add-on in Programs after updating.’

How exactly? - I can’t see any reference to it in Programs.

Graham

Make sure the add-on is enabled. Kodi Krypton has probably disabled it by default.

Sam

Are there now any improvements to android?

Support for the remote without using a mouse or a keyboard
Amazon and Netflix Plugins crashed all the time <-- is that now fixed and stable?

Thanks