Any update on the Pi4?

Pi4 is only a few quid more so it’d be daft to buy a Pi3 imo.
Just use kodi on raspbian or Libreelec until OSMC is available.

Are you sure about that? He doesn’t need 4k so assuming his power supply is good enough to run a Pi3 then total cost to upgrade is only $35. If he moves to a Pi4 then he needs a new power supply and hdmi cable so the cost is at least doubled. Kodi on the Pi4 is still very much a work in progress and the screen tearing in the UI is annoying. If he moved to a Pi3 he has exactly what he had but faster and he can even use the same OS install he’s been running.

Yeah u raise some valid points.
Maybe its just my preference but I honestly don’t see much tearing on raspbian anymore.

Sam,
I hope you are well! Is there any news on ETA of the RPI4 version? Not rushing you or anything, just would love to add OSMC to one of my Pi4’s…still love the sh@t out of my Vero4K, though!

Not at this time

Not yet. But it’s still being actively worked on. The goal posts have moved a bit with regards to how we want to approach support so we can continue to support it properly with v19, which is why it’s taking longer.

Cool, how have you been, otherwise?

Got another question, I have a Vero4k (non+ unit)…which ports are which? there’s one USB port that’s white and one that’s black…is either USB3.0?

I’m good — very busy and never enough hours.

Both are USB2 ports unfortunately, but that should be good enough even for streaming 4K rips from a drive.

You’re the man…appreciate your help and definitely your efforts!

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice last week. I ended up opting for a Pi 4 and a temporary install of Libreelec, which has certainly proved an adventure to get up-and-running!

First, updating the Pi’s firmware seems necessary, but cumbersome. The guide I followed stressed the importance of doing this through Raspbian (which I dutifully did) vs whatever your regular use distro is. Is that excessively cautious, or should I have a Raspbian SD on hand for any future firmware updates?

The biggest issue was that the Pi’s HDMI, my equipment and Libreelec (but not Noobs or Raspbian) really didn’t get along. It’d work when plugged directly into my projector, but once connected to my AV amp, it kept generating a ‘no signal’ message. After spending hours tweaking config.txt and rebooting, I finally got it to work by SSH-ing in and telling tvservice to use a specific resolution, but definitely at the :scream: end of the just-works scale.

I’m very much looking forward to getting back on the OSMC train whenever the Pi4 version comes on track. Thanks to Sam & all for taking the time to get it right :+1:

(PS Screen tearing is definitely apparent on mine when navigating the menus)

Yikes… I can’t play any video without stutter. From the searching I’ve done, it seems to be an unresolved issue. Certainly none of the suggestions are resolving the issue for me. Hmm. It seems to stutter when connected to my AV amp, but video plays normally if I connect directly to my projector.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Obviously not an OSMC issue, but posting here for visibility in case anyone else is thinking of jumping into the Pi 4 waters.

Have u tried using the other HDMI port? I know there were some issues a while back.

I run Kodi on raspbian on my Pi4 so any updating issues that you mention wont apply.

Performance wise I don’t see much difference between Raspbian Kodi and LibreElec, and it gives all the freedoms that running OSMC would, although admittedly the experience isn’t as polished as OSMC.

I spent a day trying to get rid of the stutter on libreelec, but nothing seemed to help. The really bizarre thing is that it worked fine when connected directly to my projector — all cables, vid sources, etc the same — and only had problems when running through my AV Amp, which connects to a wireless box for the projector.

I ended up switching to Raspbian Buster and doing a manual kodi install, which seems to be working without video stutter. I still have an annoying issue where the Pi opts for an incompatible HDMI mode on booting that the projector interprets as ‘no signal’:

## 'no signal' hdmi mode
~ $ tvservice -s 
state 0xa [HDMI CUSTOM RGB lim 16:9], 1920x1080 @ 60.00Hz, progressive

## working hdmi mode
~ $ tvservice --explicit "CEA 16 HDMI"
Powering on HDMI with explicit settings (CEA mode 16)
~ $ tvservice -s
state 0xa [HDMI CEA (16) RGB lim 16:9], 1920x1080 @ 60.00Hz, progressive

My config.txt includes the following, but it doesn’t appear to be picking it up:

hdmi_force_mode=1
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16

In the scheme of things, it’s more of a niggle, as I don’t tend to reboot the system very often.

Did you try it without the hdmi_force_mode=1

hmm… That doesn’t work in terms of the ‘no signal’ problem, but it does seem to use a different HDMI mode from the one it picks normally:

state 0x9 [HDMI CUSTOM RGB lim 16:9], 1920x1080 @ 60.00Hz, progressive
## vs what I usually get
state 0xa [HDMI CUSTOM RGB lim 16:9], 1920x1080 @ 60.00Hz, progressive

I’ve had a back-and-forth with an engineer on the Raspberry Pi forums, offered up EDID and logs, and it seems like it might be intractable:

You have both the firmware and the Linux kernel parsing the EDID from your monitor, and coming up with slightly different answers.

hdmi_group/hdmi_mode only affect the firmware.
The firmware does pass the chosen mode on to the kernel via the kernel command line (/proc/cmdline), but it’s only width, height, and refresh rate that get passed through.
The kernel parses the EDID and finds a mode that matches, so selects that. For some reason your monitor doesn’t like it.

Still, at least there’s a way to fix it when it happens. Small mercies!

You might try a different resolution or frame rate for the initial boot and then just let Kodi change it again once it loads.

This is bizarre. I set config.txt to use CEA mode 4, which should be 720p@60HZ, hoping Kodi would then intervene and set it to the right flavour of 1080p. No dice, alas… It picks up the 720p setting:

state 0x9 [HDMI CUSTOM RGB full 16:9], 1280x720 @ 60.00Hz, progressive

But it’s still interpreted as ‘No Signal’ by the AV amp–>Wireless Unit–>Projector chain

If I zap in and specify mode 4 through tv service, lo Kodi appears in all its 720p glory:

~ $ tvservice --explicit "CEA 4 HDMI"
Powering on HDMI with explicit settings (CEA mode 4)
state 0xa [HDMI CEA (4) RGB lim 16:9], 1280x720 @ 60.00Hz, progressive

These things can be flakey with EDIDs. You said it’s OK with the Pi connected to the projector but didn’t say if that’s through the wireless. I would recommend the edid file approach 6by9 used as a test.

1 Like

Yeah, the just-works configuration was plugging the pi directly into the port on the back of the projector and skipping the amp/wireless chain. I’ve not tried connecting to the wireless box directly and skipping the amp, though I suppose that’s the element that might be passing a weird edid?

If I connect to the projector directly (via its rear hdmi) and grab its edid, can I force the Pi to use that when it’s back hooked up to the amp–>wireless box?

And thank you all, btw, for helping with this, as it’s definitely not OSMC’s problem. Though I look forward to OSMC’s eventual return to my device!

Using hdmi_edid_file=1 hdmi_edid_filename=edid.dat in config.txt I’ve just used your EDID as an overrride. All looks fine.