ARC Issues, Adjust Display Refresh Rate

The ARC still works if I unplug my Xbox or Satellite box or blu-ray player, so why can’t it work on my other devices when I unplug VERO? I have been promised a fix for several month, I even didn’t process with Paypal chargeback because I was promised the next update will fix my problem, after 11 months it still hasn’t been fixed. Now i’m being told that there is no fix, I can’t return the dud device and the “fix” is to keep the device on forever?

You did open a chargeback some time ago. You reported issues when the device was on, which we did fix.

I also added a standby mode which you requested.

ARC won’t work if the device is powered off. I didn’t hear from you after this for months until we launched the 4K +.

I suggest that you run an optical cable to your sound bar and HDMI to your TV directly. This will allow ARC to function when Vero is off.

Yes, that’s because the device wasn’t working properly and I gave up on it :frowning:
I thought I would download the new update hoping that maybe things were fixed, but I’m still unable to power it off without breaking ARC on my TV and Soundbar.

Okay, I think that’s a different issue to what people here have, which is where ARC doesn’t work when the Vero is indeed on.

Firstly: the device isn’t overheating. If it was, it would shut down automatically. I’ve explained this in more detail in previous emails.

If you do wish to power it down however without disruption, and you have a sound bar, I’d look in to using an optical cable.

You’d run the optical cable to the sound bar and the HDMI to the TV.

Sam

You can solve any ARC issues by simply running an optical cable from your TV back to your soundbar - as stated here already several times. It will work exactly like the HDMI audio return channel (assuming here that it’s not eARC). HDMI CEC and also ARC can be flaky and both are not without issues. I’ve had strange issues with it with other devices as well… So, this being said, some may be unfortunate that they can’t benefit from what HDMI CEC and ARC promise them.

Others have had issues with HDMI CEC as well and this was simply because of a combination of devices in their setup that were refusing to work together. In the end, every manufacturer is implementing HDMI CEC in a slightly different way, so there’s no guarantee that it’ll always work as expected.

So just to clarify, optical out of TV to the sound bar, and HDMI out of VERO into TV ?

No… Just run an optical cable from your TV back to your soundbar. Then disable ARC in the setup menu of your TV (and your soundbar). The optical TOSLINK cable will pass exactly the same audio to your soundbar as the HDMI ARC channel did.

Ok, and what about the VERO? Leave it as it is, HDMI from VERO to Soundbar?

Isn’t this going to break the VIERA Link function though on my Panasonic TV?

Yes, it will… You have a Panasonic. Interesting. I’ve had the same issues with my Panasonic as well. It doesn’t tolerate an HDMI device to completely shut down when CEC/ARC is configured.
Other devices in your setup are not completely shutting down, they’re just going into a deep standby state and therefore keep the HDMI port partly active. Our Vero shuts down completely, if you press turn off. Some equipment doesn’t seem to be able to handle that. But it’s not the fault of the Vero, it’s just the way some HDMI equipment reacts to other HDMI devices being completely shut down in a setup.

My Panasonic was also very flaky when it comes to CEC/ARC. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t. I had to re-configure it very often until I decided to move to a Logitech Harmony Hub to do the job much better :wink:

Right, then the Optical cable solution won’t work for me, any other ideas? I mean, it’s just strange that only VERO causes this kind of problem, none of other devices I have tried does this, so it is the VERO “fault” :thinking:

EDIT: And believe me, i have had many devices plugged into this setup over the past couple of years, from old Popcorn Hour boxes, to cheap Kodi boxes, PlayStations, FetchTV and more, and this problem only occurs with VERO.

I should have just got an Nvidia Shield in the first place. I regret not going that way. I have been asking Sam about the return policy many times, but he has always promised some kind of a fix in the “next update”. I feel pretty disappointed.

You’re insiting on turning Vero off completely and not using Vero’s suspend/standby mode. Using that mode, this will not happen. The other devices in your setup are simply doing something different than your Vero - they’re going into standby. That’s the logic.

Try this: disable ARC in your Panasonic’s setup menu, but leave HDMI CEC (Viera Connect it is for Panasonic) turned on. Then connect an optical TOSLINK cable to the TV’s optical out and an optical in of your soundbar. In theory this should give you audio from your TV and possibly also HDMI CEC at the same time… Test this and get back to us :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, yes, that’s what I’m used to. That’s what I do and always have with any other electrical devices. I turn them off, then on when needed…If I knew that VERO should not be switched off, then i would have never bought it…

Other devices don’t turn off when you press off, you’re aware of that, right?

They do when I flick the power switch :wink:

Thank you, will try, cheers.

1 Like

So, you completely unplug power (not by just pressing the device’s off button) from, let’s say, your BD player and it’s still connected via HDMI to your setup (not all devices at the same time, but each device seperately!)?

I have the same issue with my Samsung 4K TV and Yamaha receiver. Even when I unplugged the HDMI cable and only used the toslink cable there was no audio from the receiver. After unplugging the HDMI cable and re plugging it back in a few times it worked again.

Just to be clear about the issue I’m having, in case there’s any confusion - “ARC won’t work if the device is powered off”

In my case, I don’t need or care about ARC to or from the Vero. The issue is that the Vero sometimes - and I still don’t understand why or how - seems to block ARC from being established from the TV back to the amp. So I watch something on the TV’s built-in apps, which sends audio to the amp via ARC, (amp is on TV input) and all good. Then I use the Vero by switching the TV over to HDMI 2 and selecting the correct input on the amp, all good. Then I (well, usually the wife or kids) want to watch something on the TV’s built-in apps again so we go back to the TV input on the amp and start the TV’s app up, but no audio via ARC. And the solution is to pull the HDMI cable out of the Vero, for whatever reason. Presumably it’s something to do with the handshaking going on between the Vero and the amp, and the Vero isn’t telling the amp that it’s finished, so the amp isn’t allowing the TV to re-establish ARC. Or something.

In the end, I gave up. I took the TV off the wall, ran an additional optical cable from the TV to the amp, and switched the amp’s TV input over to optical. I gave up on ARC. Which is a shame, as I now don’t get Atmos from the TV when using Netflix. But I also don’t get nagged and badgered about it from the family, and that ended up being important for my sanity. This approach is 100% cool so far (because optical just works, avoiding any hdmi weirdness), but well. It’s a shame I guess.

Would a CEC blocking HDMI adapter between soundbar and Vero not work?