Artist slidesow crash with extended unicode character

Hi
After the latest skin update and updating AS, AS is now stopping (background only) when playing an artist whose name contains extended characters e.g. René Marie, Miguel Zenón or Angélique Kidjo. The music player continues unaffected. The end of the Kodi log immediately after playing and AS crashing on René Marie contains the lines:
ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<–

Error Type: <type ‘exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError’>
Error Contents: ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character u’\xe9’ in position 37: ordinal not in range(128)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.artistslideshow/default.py”, line 5, in
slideshow = ArtistSlideshow.Main()

The code ‘\xe9’ matches “é”.

Question 1 - Should this error be reported somewhere else i.e. not an OSMC issue?
Question 2 - Is this something unique to my vero 4K setup and if so, which of the logs may be useful?

Thanks

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/putogecefu

Device: vero 4K

Steps:

• Enable logging

• Reboot

• Music > Recently played albums > Sound of Red (by) René Marie

• note extended unicode in artist name

As above, AS stopped with an error message and displayed OSMC background only.
Multiple images are in the folder …/ArtistSlideshow/René Marie/extrafanart/ and they did display with previous versions of AS.
Music player continues but AS unusable till a reboot.
Reproducible for artists Miguel Zenón and Angélique Kidjo.

Thanks

Yep – this looks to be a bug that should be taken up with the developer of this add-on.

Sam

I cannot dup this but being on staging (development repository in apt sources) with my Vero4k, see

not sure, but could be that this is already fixed/solved.

I maintain Artist Slideshow. With 3.2.1 (which is newer than the one you’re using) I am unable to duplicate this when testing with artist Céline Dion. I do recall fixing a couple unicode crashes between 3.1.0 and 3.2.1. For some reason my pull request for AS 3.2.1 hasn’t been done yet (even though all the code review is done), so it isn’t available in the Kodi repo yet (and thus not in the OSMC repo yet either). If you want to try it, you’ll have to install my beta repo and then update from there. There’s a link to my repo at the bottom of the wiki page for AS (in the section on beta testing).

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Artist_Slideshow

1 Like

Thanks very much pkscout.

I had reinstalled AS 2.1.5 which is fine for the moment and will keep an eye out for the updated AS.

I was playing music at a family meet and AS caught the eye of my brother-in-law. On the strength of that and the system as a whole, he bought a vero the next week. So thanks to everybody.