Assigning static IP via GUI

Pi B 512. Alpha 4 with updates.

At one point I was able to enter the static IP numbers in the PI Config for my wired network, but they would not stay. Now I can’t even go down past the “try to populate it automatically” box.

Not a very big deal, since DHCP does work fine. I have been trying to make my wired network have static addresses for K.I.S.S. purposes.

That is still a WIP.

Should be finished for Alpha 5

If you would still like to set a static IP, you will need to use preseed.

in /boot/ you need a preseed.cfg.

d-i target/storage string sd d-i network/interface string eth d-i network/auto boolean false d-i network/ip string 192.168.1.15 d-i network/mask string 255.255.255.0 d-i network/dns1 string 192.168.1.1 d-i network/dns2 string 8.8.4.4 d-i network/gw string 192.168.1.1

Change the IP addresses to what you need.

Then run /usr/bin/preseed

Wait for anything upto 1min and then try to connect via ssh to the static ip address.

Thanks. It was odd that it seemed to work once then quit altogether. I guess one of the updates did something.

OSMC works great so far. I switched back from OE.

I just tried that mod (running as root), and got

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/preseed", line 222, in <module> main() File "/usr/bin/preseed", line 121, in main ipv4_configuration["Netmask"] = make_variant(network["mask"]) KeyError: 'mask'
with preseed.cfg as

d-i target/storage string sd
d-i network/interface string eth
d-i network/auto boolean false
d-i network/ip string 10.0.0.163
d-i network/mask 255.0.0.0
d-i network/dns1 string 10.0.0.138
d-i network/dns2 string 8.8.4.4
d-i network/gw string 10.0.0.138

What is the problem, please?

OK - finally sank in after analysing the script

d-i network/mask 255.0.0.0