Atmos audio drop outs

Well, the Atmos drop outs on Disney movies was a know thing with Kodi but I’ve never heard of people getting drop outs with DD+.
If you want to provide a sample I can test a DD+ file but I have never had any of my DD+ files drop out.
I’m assuming you are talking about DD+ 5.1 with Atmos.

What makes this Elemental issue weird is that it doesn’t do it if you skip back and replay the spot.
Before the fix, I could go back 10 seconds and get the same drop every time from that Incredibles scene.
And if memory serves me right Zootopia was really bad.

The only non-Disney movie I remember having issues was Free Guy (2021).

And obviously if you want a serious look into your issue logs will be needed.

NOTE: Disney really likes to use seamless branching on their movies and I think this may be the source of many of the Atmos issues when MakeMKV rips them. Just my theory.

Let’s see if Kodi v21 with FFMPEG6 helps with things

Sam

It just might…

Indeed – we should find out soon.

Okay, so this issue got me thinking so I visited some old threads and even after the Kodi fixes people were still having some issues, just not as often or as bad.
One title that multiple people were able to duplicate was Toy Story 2 around the 51 minute mark.
So I put the disc as is in folder form on my SSD and as a newly minted remux with MakeMKV.
I skipped forward to about the 50 minute mark and then watched.
The remux had no drop outs but the untouched UHD folder had the audio drop out.
So I looked at the individual streams and sure enough that drop out is exactly at a branch point in the film.
It happens at file 00079.m2ts.
So why is the remux not doing it?
Maybe the latest MakeMKV does better work with the seamless branching than previous versions.
And the Kodi media player probably isn’t handling it whell when I just play the UHD folder just like old MakeMKV versions did when remuxing.
That’s my theory.
I could be wrong but it lines up with all the evidence so far.

I did some more testing with Toy Story 2 and my MakeMKV remux never drops out.
But the UHD folder playing playlist 800 drops out a lot.
My findings, along with what others have said on various forums, really makes me believe that it’s more of an seamless branching issue than anything and it Disney loves doing seamless branching, but it doesn’t seem to play well with TrueHD.