ATV1 SAD FACE + E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I tried to came out from the sad face by at the end I still have the sad face and this message

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

HI,

It looks like your ATV may have auto updated, unfortunately builds are nolonger being produced for the ATV. I would reinstall with the build from 2017.05-2 and turn updates off via myosmc.

Thanks Tom.

Do I need to reset the box to reinstall it? Or Can I just do it by insert an usb now?

Hi,

Sorry don’t own an ATV, I’m guessing its like the other devices and you should able to the usb; the installation should remove the old install.

@sam_nazarko please could you advise?

Thanks Tom.

Thanks Tom!

There aren’t any more updates for AppleTV. The latest version doesn’t have the updater anymore

So which version do I need to reinstall? Which one it will work?

It looks good, everything is working and I set off the updates.
Just last (stupid) question: can I unplugged the usb or from now it will work only with it? :sweat_smile: Thank you!

Hi,

Which one did you install the HDD or the USB version of osmc?

if its the HDD version, you can remove the usb.

Thanks Tom.

was the usb version, but the sad face suddenly back again.
I will try again with the HDD version (should I download a preview version?)
thanks

Hi,

Sorry not sure what a preview version is, but you should be ok with HDD version.

Thanks Tom.

You should tell people not to update ATV1 with these commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Whomever is responsible for this page should note this error since those command don’t work for ATV1:

I didn’t know and now I have to reinstall via the download and it’s a MAJOR headache!

They do work – provided you power off aTV properly.

So is there a fix without having to reinstall OSMC?

If your issue is the same as OPs, then you just need to fsck.

Well to suggest a fix we first need to understand what is not working for you. So explain the current state of the ATV and provide logs if it still is booting.

I had the exact same problem as Laura and I believe I did fsck but that didn’t help.