Audio Decoder plugins seem to be missing

I have a number of old midi and mods that I’d like to listen to (sampled music tracker files)

There are kodi plugins that exist https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:OpenMPT_Audio_Decoder and https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Timidity_Audio_Decoder for example, but I do not see any audio-decoder plugins showing up in OSMC. Am I missing something? (some optional debian package I need to manually install to see decoders show up?)

Any ideas?

I don’t think these are supported on ARM, if I remember correctly.

LibreElec appears to have them on their ARM builds.

https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/tree/amlogic/packages/mediacenter/kodi-binary-addons

and here for example here Index of /addons/9.0/H3/arm

I’d be willing to try building some of them myself, ( GitHub - xbmc/audiodecoder.openmpt: OpenMPT decoder addon for example) if you can point me at some more recent documentation on how to compile for the vero (the docs here Getting involved with OSMC development - Development - OSMC appear to be a bit dated)

The underlying library openmnt is based on (libopenmnt) is available to install on the vero right now… (sudo apt install libopenmpt0 ) so I would assume it works on arm.

My fileserver and laptop are both debian buster). I’ve compiled kodi on my fileserver before, but am not sure what is required for OSMC, or cross-compiling for arm.

Hi,

Compiling on your PC isn’t ideal but you could do it.

Instead on the Vero, you could run:

git clone GitHub - osmc/osmc: OSMC (Open Source Media Center) is a free and open source media center distribution
cd osmc/package/mediacenter-osmc
make vero3

After some time, you’ll have a vero3-mediacenter-osmc.deb which you can install with dpkg -i vero3-mediacenter-osmc.deb

Sam

How much space does the build environment need? (not sure if I need to scrounge up and external drive to plug in for this)

Probably 3-4GB for Kodi.

I got it to compile (had a heck of a time getting all the dependencies, and for the life of me, I don’t know why it had a problem with zlib-dev… but eventually, after installing some completely unrelated package, it suddenly could find zlib…

anyway, it built, but when I try to install, kodi doesn’t seem to like the zip file…

osmc@osmc2:~$ zip -r audiodecoder.openmpt.zip audiodecoder.openmpt
adding: audiodecoder.openmpt/ (stored 0%)
adding: audiodecoder.openmpt/addon.xml (deflated 49%)
adding: audiodecoder.openmpt/icon.png (deflated 30%)
adding: audiodecoder.openmpt/audiodecoder.openmpt.so.2.0.2 (deflated 59%)
adding: audiodecoder.openmpt/audiodecoder.openmpt.so (deflated 59%)
adding: audiodecoder.openmpt/fanart.jpg (deflated 17%)
adding: audiodecoder.openmpt/audiodecoder.openmpt.so.18.5 (deflated 59%)

but then kodi complains
2019-11-29 00:08:39.897 T:4067418112 ERROR: Failed to read ‘zip://%2fhome%2fosmc%2faudiodecoder.openmpt.zip/audiodecoder.openmpt/addon.xml’

can kodi not read zip files created with debian zip for some reason?

Strange, copied it over to my server, unziped it, and rezipped it there, and that version installed ok.

And it works. I can now play my tracker files (mods, xm, s3m etc).

in case anyone is interested, I pulled the source for this plugin from here:
GitHub - xbmc/audiodecoder.openmpt: OpenMPT decoder addon from the Leia branch

I was looking for audiodecoder.openmpt and audiodecoder.nosefart as well to play music from tracker files and couldn’t quite figure out why they weren’t available in the repository (while on Kodi for Windows they were). What is required to make these addons available in the repository for the Vero4k+? Can’t I just install this: https://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/leia/audiodecoder.openmpt+android-aarch64/audiodecoder.openmpt-2.0.4.zip?

While backtracing I discovered that the Vero4k+ (or OSMC in general?) has a repository addon with ID “repository.xbmc.org” which references download.osmc.tv instead of mirrors.kodi.tv (which I think is the default Kodi repository for mentioned ID, at least it is on Windows). I understand that OSMC has it’s own addons to provide/update, but couldn’t that be done more transparently by adding another repo with a different ID just for those addons? I’m just a newbie trying to understand all this and I first suspected that the different repository was the cause of certain addons not being available.

@randallspicher Can you share your build of the addon? Or would a build for Vero3 not work on a Vero4k+? Aren’t they both AARCH64?

If I remember correctly, there are problems with these add-ons for non Windows platforms. But I’ll see if they can be reintroduced now.

The Kodi repository doesn’t provide ARM binary add-ons, so even if you switch to the Kodi repository, this won’t help. We still use the Kodi repository ID to prevent problems with add-ons which depend on the Kodi repository, but we change the URL to reduce bandwidth on Kodi infrastructure. The repository is identical in content to the Kodi repository and just has a different name for cosmetic purposes.

Vero 3 is Vero 4K/4K+

@sam_nazarko I’m sorry this post is not contributing to the thread but Sam, but I can’t let this go unsaid: the swiftness of your reply and how accurate and correctly it addresses my question is something I don’t see very often. Your qualities really show, keep up the good work! :smile:

Thanks for considering adding them back. No problem if it’s on the low prio list :wink:, can imagine there are more important matters.

I’ve kicked off a build now to check the current state of the audio decoders. Things may have changed.

I will update this post with my findings.

Thanks for your kind words.

Sam

OK, I was able to add:

• audiodecoder.timidity
  • audiodecoder.modplug
  • audiodecoder.nosefart
  • audiodecoder.sidplay
  • audiodecoder.snesapu

This will be in the next update.

Sam