Audio drop outs playing 44,1 kHz files (flac, mp3, etc.)

After some conversations with NAD support, they came to this conclusion:

We are unable to reproduce this issue within our Labs. I believe it may be best to return to VERO for further assistance, as our AVR’s have no issue streaming any quality up to, and including 24/192.

You have also stated that removing the VERO and using another device does not reproduce the issue, yet once the VERO is connected then the issue persists. This leads me to believe the issue is with your VERO Streamer.

So, NAD says it’s most probable that the issue is at the output of de Vero, because my UHD player playing the exact same files don’t result in dropouts. What can be the next step in solving this?

Unfortunately we don’t have a NAD device and the only users reporting issues have these devices.

Without one I suspect we can’t reproduce the issue.

As this is the only AVR with these issues, it’s likely not to be an OSMC issue.

I am happy to provide hardware to NAD if it helps them resolve the issue or receive hardware from them and investigate further.

Out of interest,

• if you connect the NAD via optical, does the problem persist?
  • do you get the same issue whatever video framerate you set for the GUI (including the ‘fractional’ rates like 59.9Hz etc)?

It’s looking for a needle in a haystack.
Besides Graham’s ideas to find any additional symptom which helps to understand/isloate the root cause wherever it comes from:

• What happens if you deactive the CEC adapter at settings → system → input → peripherals (to be sure do a reboot afterwards)?

• What happens if you deactivate CEC on your AVR?

I don’t use CEC on amp or any devices since it’s so unreliable and I have the issue so think we can cross CEC off the list of suspects

Thanks

-Mat

I asked NAD about this, they are not willing to do this since I’m the only T778 user experiencing this issue.

I can check this.

CEC is already disabled due to the CEC issues where the Vero is disrupting all CEC communications (see related topic) between TV, AVR, Blu-ray and Vero, still waiting on a solution for that also.

Didn’t appear that this was fixed with the latest update for me.
Have we given up on a fix coming then?

Thanks

-Mat

Which issue specifically? The one with NAD devices?

Hi Sam,

Yes the one with 44.1khz file playing with dropouts on the NAD amp.

Thanks

-Mat

I asked @swappie to do some tests. No reply yet. Maybe you could do that for us?

I can’t promise anything but this might narrow down the search area.

Hey all,

So I am able to confirm that 44.1khz files play fine through the optical output but when played through the hdmi out they continue to have drop outs regardless of what the GUI framerate is. I normally have it at 23.98 so tried 25, 60, 30 and all made no difference.

It does seem to point to some change made to the way hdmi audio is pushed out of the Vero on a previous update.

Hope this helps

Thanks
-Mat

1 Like

Thanks for confirming.

@swappie’s logs have timed out on the paste bin. Can you upload some logs and estimate when you first had this problem. The logs will show when you updated if you haven’t completely reimaged. The OP was early March - were things OK before that?