Audio Offset Broken By May Update

I tried watching a movie this evening, unfortunately the lip sync issue was noticeable enough for someone to mention it. I don’t want to go through the hassle of a complete reinstall, so I’ll just switch to watching movies on disc until this is resolved.

@sub18e and @speckmore - what skin do you use, what is the fps of the video you’re using? I’m using Rapier, all my movies are 23.976 fps.

I experienced a strange thing yesterday:
I was watching some TV series and did not speedup the audio at first. Here and there was some stuttering in the video - maybe about once or twice per minute. Very similar to the problem, when speedup is set to +225ms or more.
After around 20 minutes I shifted the audio to be lipsync (+100ms) and from this moment the stuttering was also gone!
The file was a 1080p MKV with 25fps.
My skin is also Rapier (latest development version from skin-developer’s repo).

I too had audio syncing issues recently, albeit in a different area of device use.

Maybe the help I received would help you.

Hi BGIYYZ, thanks for the link, though it didn’t solve the issue I was having.

I did otherwise make some headway, however, after trying a few things. To @sub18e and @speckmore and anyone else experiencing this issue, here is what got it semi-working again for me:

• Started the video
  • Went to the Audio Settings
  • Adjusted the audio offset
  • Exited the Audio Settings and stopped the video
  • Started the video again

It turns out that the Audio Offset doesn’t take effect in real-time while the video is playing like it used to do, so stopping the video and starting again enacted the offset that was previously saved, in my case a delay of 0.125s. I’ve set this offset as the default for all my media.

Caveat: It seems that if I pause the video and resume, the offset is lost and the lip-sync issue returns until the video is stopped and started again.

Give this a try and let us know if you notice the same behaviours.

I only had chance to very quickly test this and can confirm that applying the offset then stopping and restarting the video does seem to then actually apply the audio offset.

Pause seems to reset it as you say until stopping and starting again to reapply the offset.

It didn’t change the behaviour of the stutter when taking it ahead by more than 0.225s though.

1 Like

Thanks for that. It will be investigated.

Yesterday’s Matrix update fixed it (at least the delay works again).
I did not test speedup > 200ms though… will test this tonight.

Many thanks. Here are my findings with Leia staging:

Mpeg2 (live TV, NTSC and PAL DVD) I can delay video while the media is playing. I can only delay audio by pausing or stopping and restarting playback.

h264 and h265 1080p I can delay video or delay audio while the media is playing.

In all cases, delaying video causes stutters, at least for offsets of 500ms or more.

Can you confirm Matrix fixes all these?

OK, I now checked with a few videos.
1080p MKV x264 reencode, dd5.1 & dd2.0: all problems seem to be fixed, delay and speedup works in both directions while the video is playing, no stuttering when shifting the audio +/- 2 seconds

4k MKV h265 remux, dolby atmos: all problems remain the same: audio delay does not work at all while playing, audio speedup >200ms causes video stuttering, audio is not sync at all :frowning:

We have a theory that the extra buffering needed to play the two streams with a time offset is having an effect. Are you playing that 4k h265 from a local drive or through a network? Can you play it well from a local drive?

Was this a problem on v17?

S

No, never had this problem on 17.

I never had to shift the audio on v17, as everything played lipsync so I can’t answer that.
Since v18 I have to shift the audio on most files :frowning:.
Audio is late most of the time.

The files are played back from a fast NAS that can deliver ~600MB/s read speed over 10Gbe.
I added an USB Gbit Adapter to the Vero 4K.

Observation: I noticed that not all videos seemed to be affected by the lip sync issue.

Not Affected:

Files tested with AAC 2.0 audio (eg. movie trailers from http://www.hd-trailers.net) and files with AAC 7.1 audio. Files with AAC 5.1 seemed to have mixed results or weren’t as easy to discern for some reason. All videos were 23.976 fps.

Affected:

Files tested with audio formats such as DTS 5.1, DTS-HD MA 5.1, DTS-HD MA 7.1, AC3 1.0 mono, AC3 5.1, Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Dolby Atmos 7.1 were all affected. All videos were 23.976 fps.

Passthrough enabled and disabled didn’t seem to matter. I also noticed that bringing up the Technical Information GUI affected lip sync as well quite a bit.

Hope some of this can help.

Ive noticed the same. I also (if I try to correct the audio delay too far) experience the judder too. Noticed on a x265 4K file with DTS-HD MA 7.1