Audio passthrough not always working

Have you tried on the Sony to set [Setup] – [HDMI Settings] – [HDMI Signal
Format] to “Enhanced” for the input port the Vero is directly connected to?

Regarding the hdmi cables: For Full HD 3D your cables have to be type “HDMI High Speed” at minimum but for higher 3D resolutions you require at minimum “HDMI Premium High Speed” quality.

Yep, I’ve tried that.

3D only requires HDMI 1.4 so enhanced mode is not required.

I have a 4K optical cable which works fine for 4k60 to the HDMI 2.0 input via the receiver, and a high speed cable to the 1.4 input connected to the splitter for 3D mode.

3D works with the Vero connected directly to the projector, but not via the receiver.

How does this optical cable handle EDID?

There’s some people in here trying help, but you’re not answering our questions, not trying what we suggest (or at least not reporting the result) and revealing only gradually details that could be relevant. I for one have lost track of exactly how your system is connected up (a) normally and (b) in the case of the other configurations you’ve tested.

I’m not sure how I have offended you.
What have I not answered or tried?

I can’t even count how many hours I’ve spent trying every setting and connection.

The cable is this one

It works fine for everything else, including 4K HDR from the Vero via the receiver to the projector, or in 3D if connected directly from the Vero to the projector.

The other cable is a standard high speed cable which struggles with 4K but works fine for 1080p 3D.

I’ve raised this issue before, 3D pass through didn’t work with my Blu-ray player either.
I don’t know if the issue is caused by the receiver or the projector, or the combination of the two.

With the receiver not passing through 3D my only options are a splitter or fall back to non-hd audio from an optical SPDIF connection.

Without the splitter I had to enable HDMI HPD lock or the projector would lose signal when switching to 3D - my Blu-ray player did not have this issue.

Without the splitter, when connecting via the receiver , 3D mode isn’t enabled and I get the top-bottom display only

With the splitter in line to give both a direct connection to the projector and audio to the receiver I have the issue with passthrough not working reliably.

Given the convoluted connections this isn’t too surprising as the receiver is still connected to the projector (and/or the TV depending on the HDMI output setting) even though I’m not watching the receiver video output.

My question in this post was whether HD passthrough audio could be forced, and it seems that it is by default, so something else is blocking it.

FWIW, I have a RUIPRO fibre HDMI cable which is very happy transmitting every other signal format up to 4K60, but refuses to transmit a 3D signal. If you’ve explicitly tested what happens when you swap it out for a conventional cable, that’s fine, but if you haven’t it’s worth testing that - fibre cables can be twitchy.

Since you ask …

Almost there with that, now, although

OMG - thank you!

I connected the old HDMI cable from the receiver HDMI B output to the HDMI 1.4 input on the projector, and 3D is passing through and working!

This is obviously not a combination I have tried before.

There were actually two factors at play.
The optical HDMI cable will not pass through 3D.
Port 1 on the projector (HDMI) 2.0 will not switch to 3D mode (I get the top bottom display with either cable)

I have now moved the splitter to the HDMI B output of the receiver to split the output to both inputs of the projector.
As a bonus my Harmony hub is already configured to switch to the 1.4 input for the “OSMC 3D” activity.

With the splitter removed from the input passthrough audio is working reliably.

What a great result!
I am using all of the equipment I already had, including the splitter.

I could replace the splitter with a switch as I will never need both projector inputs active, but I can’t find a simple 1x2 switch with IR control.

Thanks for your help.
Everything is sorted now as per my reply above.

Sorry that I didn’t get around to logging the 3D pass through issue.
I still can for academic purposes but I’m not sure what it would tell us given that this seems to be largely a cable issue.

Glad you found a solution. I can’t quite imagine why any sort of HDMI cable would pass 4k but not 3-D but we never stop learning in here.

Ask me why I hate HDMI.

I remember the days when video went through a yellow cable, and audio through a white and red one.
Sure, it looked and sounded terrible, but it always worked.

1 Like

Fibre HDMI cables aren’t actually cables: they’re a pair of active electronic devices which draw power from the HDMI sockets they’re plugged into. At one end there is an HDMI sink (similar to the receiver device on a TV); this connects to the source; so the source is not directly communicating with the real display, it’s communicating with the device at one end of the cable. That device converts the signal into light pulses that are transmitted along an optical fibre. At the other end there is a second electronic device which acts as an HDMI source - it receives the light pulses coming along the fibre and converts them into an HDMI signal that it sends to the actual display; so again, the true source is not communicating with the display, the device at the display end of the cable is sending the signal to the TV.

There are, I think, some “pure” fibre HDMI cables; but most of the ones that you come across are “hybrid fibre”, which works as described above, except that there is also a direct electrical connection from the display all the way back to the source which is used to pass EDID information (but nothing else).

Anyway, the point is that we’ve effectively got two other HDMI devices in the signal chain - one at the source end of the cable and one at the display end - and it’s possible that one or the other of those two devices is not actually compatible with every single possible HDMI signal format. As I said, my own (which I think is made by RUIPRO) also has problems with frame-packed 3D; it will pass it sometimes, but not consistently.

Just FYI, Matt, if you call it an “optical cable” then people will probably think you’re talking about an S/PDIF audio cable. Something like this is usually called a “fibre HDMI cable” (or, as explained above, “hybrid fibre”).

But anyway: if I’ve helped solve your issue, then I’m obviously very happy about that. :smiley:

Well it should be

The only thing I’m left pondering apart from that is the normal use of fibre is to feed a PJ (usually in the ceiling so far from the source). So how is Matt running cable to the PJ now?

Oh, it should, sure, but whether it actually does is a whole other question. :laughing:

I still have the old chunky HDMI cable which was installed in the ceiling (actually the floor of my bedroom) for my old 720p Panasonic projector, but struggled to transmit 4K to my new Benq.

The new cable is run along the back of the ceiling and visible, as I didn’t want to rop up the floor, so I went for the slim optical HDMI cable.

Luckily I didn’t cut and pull out the old cable which I didn’t think I needed any more.

I’m pretty sure I spot a red flag in that description that often times indicates that the seller is at best taking liberties, at worst, outright blowing smoke directly up peoples backsides.

Maybe he is providing a radioactive absorbing cactus.

1 Like

A small update - and apologies to Dynamix - their optical HDMI cable works fine for 3D

With the splitter in line from the receiver output, connecting to the HDMI 1.4 input on the projector, the Dynamix cable works fine in 3D.

When connecting directly from the receiver to the projector, neither cable works in 3D mode.

This may be similar to the issue I had when originally connecting the Vero directly to the projector that it would only cause the projector to switch to 3D mode when I enabled HDP lock, or after I installed the splitter.

This means that my projector is the issue, when connected directly to either the Vero or the receiver something weird is happening when it switches to 3D and I lose signal.
Installing the between the projector and either source fixes the issue.

My 3D Blu-ray player can be connected directly to the projector and works fine, but not via the receiver which needs the splitter between its output and the projector to work.

Neither cable will enable 3D on the HDMI 2.0 input, and I get the top/bottom display.

There are still some issues with the splitter blocking 3D mode in some EDID settings, but I am overriding that with disp_cap_3d anyway.

In any case, I need to use the second projector input for 3D so what I have in place now does everything I want.

1 Like