Audio problems with headphones

Hi, I have the following:

Vero 4k > Vizio 5.1 Soundbar > ARC Panasonic EX750 TV

I also have a pair of Sennheiser 175 Headphones plugged into the television via optical. The problem is I only hear 2.0 output from them - the TV (or ARC) is obviously not capable of passing through any dolby digital or DTS 5.1 audio as I hear nothing on the headphones. Only around 10% of my content is 2.0.

The soundbar only has 1 HDMI out which is being used for ARC. I have tried putting the headphiones optical cable into the Vero but it doesn’t connect. It just falls out. No idea if it is damaged or not. The red light in it is fine.

I have tried putting the optical cable into my soundbar - nothing. I think it may just be an optical IN port

So then tried the 3.5mm jack in the Vero - and all I get is static.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Can you upload a log so we can see your audio settings?

Hmm it seems it’s the old change the 7.1 to 2.1 and turn off passthrough. I guess that’s not a huge deal. But it is a pain if I have to swap those settings around every time I want to use a different device. But it would be nice if we could change both these options on the fly - does the OSMC architecture allow that?

How would we know when you want to play from headphones vs HDMI/optical?

You misunderstand the “number of channels” setting. That setting is how my LPCM channels supported by the interface you are using. S/PDIF (optical) only supports two channels so you would set that to 2.0 when using that interface.

You wouldn’t, that’s not what I’m asking.

When I open the OSD menu (when a video is playing)…I go to audio and I have an option to turn passthrough off. It would be great if there was also an option in that menu to set to 2.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 etc etc.

Essentially my Vero requires a different group of settings depending on whether I’m listening via soundbar or headphones. I just wondered if there’s an easy way to switch between those 2 groups settings, or if I manually have to go in and change them every time.

Appreciate that this is a luxury request not a necessity.

Setting it to 2.0 does not mean that you are unable to get surround sound. With it set to 2.0 it will output 2 channel LPCM (to make your headphones happy) when passthrough is turned off but when you turn on passthrough a 5.1 signal in either DD or DTS can be transmitted over that same connection. Only 7.1 would require a change in that setting.

You would have to do a bit of work to set it up but there is also an add-on that can make switching between two different audio profiles a single button press.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200081

Thanks, that looks just what I’m after. I’ll do some fiddling.