Audio via Bluetooth - is it possible?

Can I connect my bluetooth headphones to OSMC on my Pi 3? And if it is possible, how?

I believed: I enable Bluetooth in MyOSMC ans pair the headphones with the pi. This seems to work. But now? I go to the sudio settings and select the right output. Which one? There is analog, HDMI, analog & HDMI. This can’t be the right one. So it cam be ALSA? May be… But I hear nothing. So what can I do? Does Bluetooth work? Or not? Ot is just Audio via Bluetooth impossible? (With LibreElec it seems to work…)

1 Like

Did you install a2dp? sudo apt-get install a2dp-app-osmc

Yes. I did. I followed the steps above. The result is the same: it doesn’t work. Ok. That’s it.

I believe I found the problem: When I pair my headphones with OSMC the device shows up in »paired devices« but it isn’t. And if it is not paired it can’t work. That’s clear. So there is no solution. (May be LibreElec is one.)

Pairing and Connecting via commandline is always an option that works reliable.

Aha. And where do I find a hint how to do this?

For example in this post

I found a HowTo. Pairing is impossible. I get »org.bluez.Error.AuthenticationFailed«. That’s all. It simply doesn’t work.

Are you on the latest OSMC version? If you want to troubleshoot please upload logs so that we can check.

I’m on the latest version. Yes. How can I upload the logs?

Complete logs via grab-logs -A
Also would be interesting are you using the buildin Bluettooth or an external adapater?
Have you rebooted before trying to pair?
When was the bluez error shown? When scanning or pairing?

»Complete logs via grab-logs -A« I don’t understand.

I use the builtin Bluetooth adapter. I have rebooted. The error was shown when pairing:

[bluetooth]# pair EC:66:D1:A1:DF:CB
Attempting to pair with EC:66:D1:A1:DF:CB
[CHG] Device EC:66:D1:A1:DF:CB Connected: yes
Failed to pair: org.bluez.Error.AuthenticationFailed
[CHG] Device EC:66:D1:A1:DF:CB Connected: no

You asked how you can upload logs. If you execute on the command line grab-logs -A the logs will be uploaded and you will be shown an URL that you can share here.

Which speakers are using? Are they having a PIN?

No. They have no PIN. Bowers&Wilkins PX. On all other devices they work without any problem.

The logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/ehecelicov

Well not sure whats gone on here? Seems you uninstalled a2dp at the current moment!

Also seems you are using the buildin bluetooth, or?

Start-Date: 2018-05-16  16:01:16
Commandline: /usr/bin/apt-get-real purge a2dp-app-osmc
Requested-By: osmc (1000)
Purge: a2dp-app-osmc:armhf (1.1.3)
End-Date: 2018-05-16  16:01:21

I installed a2dp because somebody told me this will help. I didn’t, so I uninstalled it. But the main problem is that there is no connection to my headphones. and if I can’t connect them there can’t be any sound, I believe.

I use the builtin adapter yes.

without the a2dp package this will not work, so I suggest you install it and then use bluetoothctl to pair (report your findings).

The builtin adapter is know to give issues therefore I use external adapter. So that may explain differences in success

I installed it. It doesn’t work. It’s just the same. OK. That’s it. (But I don’t understand why MyOSCM shows the headphones as paired although this is not true. On the other hand: I didn’t pay for OSMC, so it’s OK. Bu now I know better why I’ll not buy a Vero…)

Hope the grass is greener on the other side :wave:

1 Like