Audio/Video sync

On my Vero 4K+ I find on most videos that I play, by default the sound lags about 200ms behind the picture.

It’s not too difficult to correct - set it to 200ms ahead, and make that the default for all videos - but at the same time it’s not exactly what I would expect. The delay is also not completely consistent - it varies from one video to another, and sometimes it’s not the same for the same video played on too different occasions.

Possibly it’s because I don’t use pass-through much…?

Does anyone want to look at this, and if so, would you like some logs?

How is audio setup on your system?

You mean, what are the audio settings on the Vero 4K+, or do you mean what device is digital audio being sent to and how is that configured?

On my Denon AVR-4400 connected to my JVC projector I have my audio at -175ms, as I recall, for Vero 4K+ a/v sync.

This works for “most” media. Some media is just badly encoded and has issues with poor a/v sync. That’s why I have remote shortcuts for “a/v sync +” and “a/v sync -“ at the touch of a button. If you upload a sample or two of media that has different a/v sync (for you), I’d be happy to tell you if it behaves similarly for me.

I need to have pretty much everything at +100ms (and I know from experience that my TV introduces a video delay of around 130ms on 24Hz material - without that my audio would have to be +225.

@sam_nazarko

Vero system settings for audio:

Audio output device: AML-M8AUDIO,HDMI
Number of channels: 7.1
Output configuration: Best match
Volume control steps: 90
Maintain original volume on downmix: yes
Stereo upmix: no
Include LFE in stereo downmix: 100%
Boost centre channel when downmixing: 0 dB
Resample quality: High
Threshold for pitch correction: 2
Keep audio device alive: Always
Send low volume noise: yes
Play GUI sounds: Never
GUI sounds: Kodi UI sounds
Allow passthrough: yes
(Then yes to AC3 and E-AC3, but no to DTS, TrueHD, and DTS-HD).
Enable audio DSP processing: no

Why not both? Aren’t they equally important to the outcome?

Vero settings already posted.

The Vero is connected to a Lumagen RadiancePro video processor. The audio output from that goes to the audio input on my Oppo 105D blu ray player, which is pretending to be an audio processor in this setup. Video output goes to an LG G6 television. Lumagen’s video delay is set to zero; Oppo’s audio delay is set to zero. I don’t experience erratic A/V sync with any other devices connected the same way.

AfaIk, since spec HDMI 1.3 HDMI-devices have a “lip sync” feature to correct audio/video timely deviations.

From your setup description, the HDMI audio/video data will be synchron till the Lumagen device but then you split audio and video and all later devices do not have a chance to synchronize with such method since missing the other data stream. All is based in this setup on extreme accurate running clocks after the Lumagen. Features like variable frame rates, complex encoded audio being forwarded by passthrough, etc. will enforce slight deviations while decoding and if you cascade signal processing components like you do (there must be further processing after the oppo), this will not improve.

I would use in such environment the last component still seeing audio and video intact/synchron to influence audio/video sync … and that is the Lumagen device in your setup.

So these “other devices” are also forwarding complex encoded audio to your oppo or just PCM?

Both they and the Vero usually forward multi-channel PCM. The Oppo 105D can handle DD, DD+, DTS, and PCM up to 7.1/24-bit/96 kHz, but not DTS-HD or TrueHD.

There isn’t.

Speakers connected to the BD player? :thinking:

Well, it’s connected directly to the power amps. I wouldn’t call that “processing”.

The best way for me to describe this feature is the following: it doesn’t work.

That’s just my opinion after numerous home theater installs (it’s my line of work).

@JimKnopf: The HDMI Lip Sync feature works not with every TV. But most importantly, even if it worked, it would not help if the audio Signal leaves the player (Vero 4k) with an audio lag of 150-200ms. Neither the AVR nor any TV can do anything about that. Mentioned HDMI feature only delays the audio based on the video lag the TV reports to the AVR.

But since it is an audio lag that seems to exist when leaving the Vero, nothing can be done automatically (unless someone programs a heck of an AI for that).

The whole traditional lip sync debate centers around the video lagging because of the video lag introduces with HDTVs. But what we see here - and in Leia even worse, many people are starting to notice - is the audio lagging behind and nothing to be found that could be blamed on the AVR/TV.

Whatever it is, passthrough or not (doesn’t matter), the Vero 4k is sending a delayed audio on some files. I don‘t have this issue with any other player in my setup and I have plenty (Shield TV, Apple TV 4k, Cheap Libreelec Box, Panasonic BluRay Player)… if anything, I have to correct the mentioned video response time of my TV, as anyone could expect.

But audio lagging behind 150 to 200ms? This is completely out of the norm and no AVR or TV can even compensate such behavior from a player manually because correction is only possible the other way around.

Had to be said here because the on going discussion in the other sub forum is not read by everyone.

Can we please not resurrect dead threads with redundant info that is already being posted in a recent and relevant thread that keeps everyone on the same track?

3 Likes