Aug update

For the Aug update I get the following message:
OSMC update error
Error installing
Please report …

…done :slight_smile:

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

I’ve been hit by this too on previous upgrades, not on the August one though, and the error message as it stands is pretty useless.

Maybe the update failed message could be expanded to say what to report. There is no indication why it couldn’t upgrade, or what to report other than “this”. If an error message is too verbose to manage, how about code indicating how far the process got before it failed. Might help narrow the problem down, after all osmc knows it failed, could it not tell us why?

there is just look at the link above that oozee provided there is a whole subsystem for looking at what went wrong but most users often like to create post like the OP which is more useless then the constant complaining.

The point I was trying to make, and you have missed, is that the error message shown on screen is useless. It tells you something went wrong and to report it on the forums, nothing else. I am well aware that there is a good system in place, inbuilt log uploader, the works, but the error message doesn’t tell you about it, or what you need to report. It would be far more useful if the message told you what to report and how to do it. It is not too difficult to track what osmc is doing during the upgrade and give a more meaningful message. It would reduce these sort of messages in the forum which seem to crop up on almost every monthly update.

if something goes wrong in the update, logic says that you should take a look at your apt log… its not rocket science that we are dealing with. Perhaps that a minor detail that could be added to the error message but again most experienced users know this already

Most experienced users, yes I agree, but what about the newbies?
Most experienced users could probably fix it themselves. The ones who aren’t experienced users will do exactly what the error message tells them to, report it on the forum with no useful info.

Just as an example, this is what I get if an android update fails…

Can’t update app
“Inbox by Gmail” can’t be updated. Try again, and if the problem continues,
get_help_troubleshooting (error code 491)

See the difference… get_help_troubleshooting is a link to a help page, and a code that indicates (or at least narrows down) what to look for.

Unfortunately the op did exactly what the error message told him to, but it was no use to anyone.

@sam_nazarko include in that error message to report the debuglog also that shouldnt be too hard should it ?

I’m with you on this. I think you get the same message if the only problem is your internet connection was down. been meaning to see if there’s a quick fix, but there is too much in the in-tray.

You can grep for the string in /usr/share/kodi/addons/osmc

Sam

I reboot the raspberry. 24h later it tells me that the update was successful. So may be a connection in indeed.
Thanks for help