Auto updates at night/during idle time

Hi folks

We just got our second “an update is available” pop up notification in OSMC.
The first one came during a video playback, the second when I started my TV in the morning. In my setup OSMC is running on a Raspberry Pi constantly powered on.

I was wondering if it would be possible to automatically update OSMC at night, e.g. at 3 am or whenever I’ve not been using my box for, say, 5 hours which would indicate I’m asleep.

At home OSMC is being used mostly by my wife who doesn’t care about updates and who considers such popups really annoying. It would be great to always have up-to-date software without having to care about updates.

Thanks!

In the OSMC settings app, open the Updates section. You can set the time of day it checks for updates.

You can schedule the check for updated but the update itself is currently always a manual thing. This is to stop an update possibly breaking your system without you being given the chance to backup your system.

This shouldnt happen. Kodi is asked if anything is playing before starting any update check.

It might have started checking before the video started, then when the video started it took much longer to finish.

We can look to add something to pause the update during video playback, but that would be tricky.

the update itself is currently always a manual thing. This is to stop an update possibly breaking your system

As my setup is the out-of-the-box version of OSMC, I would be willing to take that risk!

Even if the update goes wrong, I expect I could still login via SSH or retrieve any media/configuration file directly from the SD card.