Autofs mounts fails after september update

I found similar topics after the update, but none of the fixes seems to have fixed the problem for me. Worked as normal before the update of course. I tried to read the logs, but could not find the problem. Please help.

From /etc/auto.smb.shares:

/mnt/freenas/Media/Filmer -fstype=cifs,rw,vers=3.0,credentials=/home/osmc/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,uid=osmc,gid=osmc ://
/mnt/freenas/Media/TV-serier -fstype=cifs,rw,vers=3.0,credentials=/home/osmc/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,uid=osmc,gid=osmc ://
/mnt/freenas/Media/Musikk -fstype=cifs,rw,vers=3.0,credentials=/home/osmc/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,uid=osmc,gid=osmc ://

Username in smbcredentials is a single name without spaces.

Here are debug logs:

Have you tried just a systemctl restart autofs? I find it’s needed sometimes after an update or some other procedure that may restart other things.

Tried that after changing the config, but no change. Also reboot. An earlier thread mentioned vers=2.0 in /etc/auto.smb.shares, but that does not solve it either. The NAS is using smb3.0


Have you gone through the testing steps in this post:

Regards Tom.

Tried without any vers=?

1 Like

I tried the testing steps, but ls -lah /mnt/etc… did not give any output, other than it cannot find the file. Removing vers= did not make a difference either. It is very strange.

I tried a clean install of 2022.09-1, then followed the SMB steps from Mounting network shares with autofs (alternative to fstab). No change.

Then I downgraded to 2022.03-1, followed the same steps, and it works immediately.

2022.03-1 used v5.1.2-4 of autofs, while 2022.09-1 uses 5.1.7-1.

Check this post, I had issues with the contents of the .smbcredentials file. The usernames must be really simple, (notably excluding spaces), although it looks like you might have already done this.

AutoFS issues after Bullseye upgrade - #6 by thechrisgregory

I had a look at your logs, but couldn’t see the ‘[osmc mount]’ messages. Can I suggest you re-up the logs, capturing startup, when you expect the mounts to be started.

Thanks, I read your thread, but my username is simple. No spaces or strange characters. The user is a Windows domain user however. I tried using “domain\username” in the smbcredentials file, but it didn’ matter. Something must have changed in autofs, but I can’t find anything in the changelogs that would explain this.

I will stay on March-edition for now. Too much hassle to upgrade to upload the logs, I’m afraid.


How is smbcredentials file formated?

If its:


As @thechrisgregory “escape sequence using ‘\’” pointed out this no longer works with autofs. Being as its not listed in the changelog, it could be a bug and may be fixed soon. If not you could be stuck on the March release for sometime and missing out on many improvements.

I suggest trying this, in smbcredentials :


Regards Tom.

Thanks @Tom_Doyle, that was a good suggestion. I got curious, so I installed a vm with clean Debian 11 and installed autofs. Still the same behaviour, even with domain=domain, but now I finally got some output while doing ls -lah /mnt/<server1>/<share1>.

cifs-utils was not installed. This is a clean Debian install, so it is expected, but once I sudo apt install cifs-utils it finally worked. I will try this on my Vero 4k later today.

Edit: Got impatient and updated via ssh. This time it works like a charm, right out the box. Strange that it did not work after the clean install, though I am starting to suspect user error might be the culprit, haha!

Thanks for the help guys!

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Systemd.mount units fail to mount