Autoremove had some dangerous side effects

Hi All,

I thought it maybe worth posting this up for information purposes only.

The backgound!

I have 2 RPI’s, one of which was setup as an openvpn server. I recently had to reinstall so lost the function.

Roll on a few months and I decided to turn both of them into openvpn servers. Obviously I can only use one through the router. So I decided to remove the packages I had installed on the redundant PI.

I ran apt-get autoremove and answered Y. Didn’t check the screen so it removed the following:

armv7-bluez-osmc 
armv7-connman-osmc 
armv7-network-osmc 
cifs-utils 
curl
easy-rsa 
gir1.2-glib-2.0 
iproute2 
libelf1 
libgirepository-1.0-1 
libnl-3-200
libnl-genl-3-200 
libnss-myhostname 
libpcsclite1 
libpkcs11-helper1 
net-tools
openvpn 
python-dbus 
python-gi 
python-gobject 
python-gobject-2
rbp2-device-osmc 
samba-common 
wget 
wireless-firmware-osmc 
wpasupplicant

PI runs and the screen shows Kodi. Obviously the network is down but I’ve found a page that looks like it will help.

Failing that I’m more than happy to reinstall as I have it setup to access a local mysql db rather than local db.

I decided to do some checks on the remaining working PI with openvpn and it looks like there is a difference in what is removed depending on the command issued.

apt-get autoremove

does nothing as there is nothing to remove.

apt-get autoremove openvpn easy-rsa

ended with the removal of the above.

Oh well. Live and learn and it’s not like I’m going anywhere in lockdown!

BBloke

Autoremove on Debian tends to be very conservative in what it removes.

The title of this thread is arguably incorrect. The dangerous side effect occurs as a result of removing openvpn. Unfortunately, Sam has made openvpn a dependency of armv7-connman-osmc (and armv6-connman-osmc on the Pi1 and Zero). I don’t know why this is so but you’re not the first person to fall into this trap.

It’s one step towards making OpenVPN work out of the box

Sam