Backing up Settings

Importance of backups

It’s important to keep your OSMC system backed up. This will make it easy to upgrade your OSMC device, move settings to another system and ensure peace of mind

Backing up via My OSMC

OSMC offers its own backup utility to help you make backups. It can be accessed via My OSMC. If you are using the default OSMC skin, then My OSMC will be accessible via your Home screen. If you are using Confluence then it will be available via the Settings sub-menu. For other skins, My OSMC can be found via the Programs section.

Setting up a backup schedule

Under My OSMC’s backup wizard, you can also configure a backup schedule. OSMC recommends you perform a backup before an update is installed.

It’d be nice if this mentioned that the backup utility is located in the updates tab of the My OSMC menu.

Some tips on how to do back up and restore manually (i.e. by mounting the card/file system elsewhere and backing up the relevant files, restoring them later) after OSMC shot itself in the foot by an update would be useful.

1 Like

First, stop Kodi before backing up or restoring your config.

Locate the /home/osmc/.kodi directory which contains all Kodi settings and would be desired for backup.

Move/copy the directory to/from your OSMC device.

Restart Kodi…

… Profit!

Maybe remove this sentence? With Kodis Estuary My OSMC is also available from the Home screen.

But it is not available from the home menu of all skins

You’re right of course. What about changing Confluence to Estuary since it is the default skin now?

Agreed.

I can’t seem to find a BackUp option at all in MyOSMC. Has it been moved somewhere else?

It’s under My OSMC-> Updates.

1 Like

Thank you!

yes I also read across it.