Bandwidth needed to stream internally

I’ve slightly lost track of what you’re trying to achieve, here. :slightly_smiling_face:

If all you want to do is improve communication between those devices, then connect the PC to the router by wired Ethernet. Or, alternatively, buy a cheap gigabit Ethernet switch and connect router, Vero and PC to it. Communication between Vero and PC would then bypass the router entirely.

But you’re actually trying to get a signal to the other side of the house, right? And the WiFi signal isn’t strong enough to reach? While a router with a stronger signal might be able to reach, the signal might not be strong enough to get good speed out of it. If you want to be able to stream 4K blu ray remuxes across the network, you need to be able to sustain something in the 150-200Mb/s range at least. (Actual max bit-rate of the video is 128Mb/s, but you need some overhead). That’s really pushing it for WiFi. If you don’t want to use wired Ethernet you’ll probably need more than one device, with an intermediate “relay station” between the router and where you want the signal to get to; and a cheap “extender” likely won’t be fast enough. As I suggested before, a set of Asus routers with AIMesh enabled might do the trick. But I still think running a wired Ethernet cable (outside the house if necessary) will be best in the long run.

2 Likes

Are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi, btw? And have you checked for possible interference from outside sources and (if there is any) with changing the WiFi channel?

Yes, you are right. I don’t think I clearly, if at all, explained what my intention was, but you correctly surmised it in your 3rd paragraph! So it’s a bigger screen in another room, but my vero is in mian living room. Rather than having to move my gear, I wanted to just rely on the TV to watch content streamed from my HDDs in the other room.

I think I have arrived at the ethernet solution too as would only need a 50m run over the roof so should be faily neat and painless, to do.

Cheers for the advice @angry.sardine and others who have helped me making an expensive mistake or pulling my hair out.

Make sure you buy Ethernet cable that is designed for outdoor use - not all of them are weatherproof. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep, checked that.

It’s on 2.4ghz and auto channel. Router stats say: wireless speed: 130Mbps

Have you tried using 5GHz? You certainly have no chance at all of getting the speed you need with 2.4.

Auto channel is not always helpful. On auto the router should switch to whatever is the least congested channel in the room where the router is, but that isn’t necessarily the most uncongested channel in the room where the device you’re trying to connect to the WiFi is sitting. Since that’s where the signal is weakest, that’s where you need to control interference.

Yeah, that’s a “theoretical” speed, to put it politely. :slightly_smiling_face:

Just checked and it’s 2.4ghz only. Will change the channel and see if it has any effect though.

There are plenty of apps you can put on your phone that let you scan for all the WiFi networks in range and look at channel number and signal strength. I use one called WiFi Analyser.

But you probably won’t get much more than 50-60Mb/s out of 2.4GHz WiFi no matter what you do. Maybe 80 if you’re two feet away from the router. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sorry to bump an old thread but just upgraded to fibre100 and wanted to try to solve my problem. Unfortunately the new router, while supporting 5ghz & wifi6, still struggles to meet the back of the house. Same old story with homeplugs so I was wondering whether it’s worth splashing out for a mesh system or just a run of cat6 cabling. I really only need fast internet to my ethernet switch for my xbox, vero and TV, with the rest of the house being reachable from the router wifi. Is mesh overkill?

Hi,

Personally I would only consider wifi or homeplugs, if running a cable wasn’t an option. The best result is always going to be a wired connection.

Thanks Tom.

2 Likes

Okay. Further to this, I bougth some cat6 cabling and conncted vero straight to the router and am getting the full 100mb. My Tv , in another room, is in the same room as the router and conncted via wifi6. Using the TV, I can stream from Kodi (vero) but it still balks at high bit rate files, i.e 20gb TV webrip (4k). Is it worth getting kore cabling to connect Tv on wifi directly to the router?

Hi,

Are you able to connect the TV directly via a wired connection? I ask cos I know the wifi on my TV is flaky.

Thanks Tom,

Hi Tom,

Just tried this with an old 360 ethernet cable , and results were not much improved. I’m wondering whether my lg TV is just not up to the job, although when played locally on the TV, it plays everything I throw at it.

Hi,

Please try a different cable?

Thanks Tom.

Hi,

Found the solution. It was the listen mode on TV messing up network. This has now sorted my lg b7 out- hurrah!

2 Likes