Basic sanity checking

I have a new pi2, it needs to use wireless, the SSID and password I gave the setup utility are definitely correct, assuming the install program didn’t corrupt it. Networking is not working. I assume Linux doesn’t like my wifi dongle, but to check I need a working bash prompt with sudo privileges. How do I get a working bash prompt if the network is not working? Clearly security doesn’t matter with a raspberry pi2 running osmc, but I do need a way to talk to Linux that lets me say what I want, in language GNU/Linux will understand (and I have been using GNU/Linux from before Stallman even asked people to acknowledge the FSF when they talked about Linux – circa 1995 – I know bash, think bash, prefer it to even thinking about touching a mouse, let along a trackpad, let alone plugging a mouse in, if I can see what the problem is using an old-school wired USB keyboard and a working screen. But I am stuffed if I cannot get either a working bash prompt or an interactive python3 session (and either will do). This is what people like M$ don’t get: simple is beautiful, and when lives are at stake, simple saves lives. If my one chance to save somebody’s life is to use my pi2 running osmc (and assume I have no choice in the matter) and the only issue stopping me showing him or her a life saving video of some sort is that the only network is wireless, the keys are correct and it is not working, I have to have some sensible chance of fixing the issue. I need a fscking bash prompt. Please re-enable Ctrl-Alt-F1 and at least stick the old login screen back, since there are times a shiny GUI just can’t do what you want.

Or put a terminal emulator in the advanced section of the settings.

I’m just going to leave this here,

1 Like
  1. If the network port on the pi2 doesn’t work, and the wifi dongles don’t work without downloading firmware (most need to download firmware), SSH doesn’t work. Sending me to a page that suggests SSH as the sensible option, and exiting OSMC as the alternative says that OSMC is DefectiveByDesign so far as EaseOfUse is concerned.

2. Exiting OSMC caused it to reboot back into itself, not drop to a prompt.

Thus your answer fails on all counts. Seriously, what harm can re-enabling at least one old school virtual console do, or at least having a single option in the advanced settings for how many VTs should be available? It is trivial to implement, and if necessary I will extract the Video and Music code from OSMC and rewrite the rest in Python if I have to, and put it back on Raspbian. But that would be a shame.

Re-enable old school VTs and have a working terminal inside the GUI enabled, and requiring at most five key presses to get there. Without that I am better off pulling out the plug, sticking the microsd card in my UbuntuStudio laptop, pressing PowerButton (wait 15 seconds) WindowsKey T, followed by ‘sudo mount …’ and then inserting scripts into the boot sequence and disabling OSMC launching by default. But why on earth should I need to? Seriously, that is my best option right now and ‘Wiki - OSMC’ reads to me as a ‘dont understand textmode’ admission.

Hold on a minute…
You seem to be misunderstanding that OSMC (Open Source Media Center) is designed to be a Media Client, nothing more.

Why have you chosen OSMC in the first place?

Did you even bother to read the link CaNsA provided??

Exiting Kodi

• Navigate to the power icon in Kodi
  • Select Exit
  • Press ESC on your keyboard
  • Login to your device.
1 Like

It is also pretty trivial to bring up a shell by changing /proc/cmdline to init=/bin/bash…

Hmmmmm…

Surely your skills would be much better put to use submitting patches to OSMC?

You should realise you’re running an alpha build of some software. You should also realise we work on this in our spare time.

If you exit Kodi, and press ESC, a GeTTY gets spawned on tty1. So we do support ‘old school’ VTs, we just don’t allow chvt with CTRL ALT Fx, and for good reason too!

S

5 Likes