Before I receive my Vero 4K - looking for info

Hi All.

I have a Vero4K ordered. And I am struggling to be patient. :crazy_face:

I have been using Kodi for a fair while though tbh use it in a very basic mode - no add-ons, and I don’t even use scrapers. A lot of what I watch is so far off mainstream - scrapers throw wobblies.

All my media is on a SYNOLOGY NAS. It’s configured as an NFS server. Tried Plex and can’t get on with it.

The Intel based Asus VM42 I currently use to run LibreELEC is frankly so under-utilised I decided to re-assign it to desktop use.

It seemed way better to get a dedicated “Kodi” box and as I read that OSMC is now the way to go: rather than get a Pi and fiddle about - went for a Vero.

The Vero is made for the job (so should work better) and also as a way to support the community. Also frankly - it’s a damn good price imo. For me - importantly - it’s 100% above board. All with free shipping to Spain. Total win-win solution.

Also the way the remote functions means I can hide the box and eliminate the keyboard used for the Asus.

I have been through the Wiki/forum and trawled the web but I am having trouble finding an “Idiots Guide” to OSMC.

Things like - What is actually in the OSMC App-Store?, May be some nice screen shots of the OSMC Skin. Settings options? - I’d like to use a VPN for example - even just to get updates.

I look forward to “playing” once the Vero arrives. For the developers - I’m one of those old and old fashioned IT systems engineers that likes editing things in tables - you know the sort - Dinosaurs.

Chris

The Settings options (especially in Expert mode are to extensive to be shared)

Search the forum seems most people have best results with Brian Hornsby’s Addon

I run a couple of Synology NAS units with NFS enabled. I found that to connect OSMC to my NFS shares I had to go into the Synology control panel, go to the NFS permissions for the share, then edit the NFS rule and set “Squash” to “Map all users to admin”. I think OSMC may present itself differently to LibreELEC in that regard. Before I did this, OSMC would not connect. However, once connected, I can stream 4K mkv’s over my wired network without any trouble.

I think the term “Store” here is a bit misleading. For me a store is where you go to purchase stuff, but with OSMC, it’s actually where you go for critical services. As a new user, I lost time trying to enable Samba as it never occurred to me that Samba functionality would be enabled via a “Store”. While I appreciate the great support that OSMC has, for me this is an area where the LibreELEC design is superior - I found it easier to figure out where to go for enabling core services like this.

1 Like

I found that to connect OSMC to my NFS shares I had to go into the Synology control panel, go to the NFS permissions for the share, then edit the NFS rule and set “Squash” to “Map all users to admin”.

This was necessary for LibreELEC too. Thanks.

fzinken - Thanks for that VPN link. :+1:

For some reason, my LE Pi’s were connecting to NFS shares with Squash set to “No mapping”. The setting “Map root to admin” also works with OSMC.

Interesting point. Because of the OSMC design, it’s not really possible / ideal to put packages in the same area as add-ons. We use a package manager with dependency management rather than the static / single binary approach that I believe LE uses.

The App Store needs a revamp which is planned. There’s no ETA on this however. It may also benefit from a better name. Perhaps ‘Market’ or even ‘Applications’ would be a better choice.

Sam

1 Like