Best setting for 1080i50

I use handbrake to convert my BDs to h265 and all is fine for progressive. I have noticed that my 1080i50 files all seem to be running at 1080p25 and look ugly.

What is the best setting for vero4k+? Should I convert to 1080p50 or leave as 1080i50. I haven’t looked into the handbrake settings yet as I’d like to know which works best on the vero, so I know what to ask. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.


What have you got: Adjust display refresh rate to match video set to?

Thanks Tom.

I can’t remember the wording but it’s not “match display”. Can I get it to output 1080i50?
I removed 1080p25 from the whitelist so it shows in 1080p50 but still looked bad.

EDIT: It’s set to ALWAYS, with Sync playback to Display OFF.

Currently all Kodi devices including our Vero are not capable of outputting interlaced content untouched. Why not let handbrake do the deinterlacing job for you as you’re already converting all your files, so you never have to worry about decent deinterlacers anymore?

I’m pretty sure, you can convert an interlaced source file to progressive way better than most hardware deinterlacers of Kodi boxes could do on-the-fly. But @nabsltd has more experience and knowledge on this one.

Thank you. It seems that the original file plays back fine. It’s 1080i50. So I’m happy to have either i or p. I guess my current (handbrake) settings convert to 1080p25. I turned off deinterlacing in hb and forced 50fps but it’s still bad, I think it’s just showing the p25 frame twice for half the length of time.
Is there a way to encode progressive “as interlaced” so lines aren’t repeated and put at the wrong time?

@chillbo is right. It seems HEVC and interlacing don’t play well together HEVC Interlaced Question - Doom9's Forum.

Besides, I was going to ask if by 1080i50 you (or handbrake) mean 50Hz field rate or 50Hz frame rate.

The problem with interlaced is you have to know how it was created in order to turn it into progressive correctly. There are three possibilities:

  1. Progressive film content converted to interlaced using pulldown, which duplicates some fields. This does not seem to apply in this case.

  2. True progressive content that is just marked as interlaced. In this case, this would be 25p content that is mistakenly marked as 50i. It was originally captured at 25p full frames, either on film, or on a scan-line based device that captured lines in order (0, 1, 2, … ,1078, 1079). To convert back to progressive at 25p, you don’t have to do anything special on the encode, but you do need to force the frame rate to 25p. After that, it should look fine.

  3. Content that was captured as interlaced, so scan line order would be 0, 2, …, 1078, 1, 3, …, 1079). This is likely what you are facing.

For case #3, you can remove the interlaced artifacts and keep the higher frame rate (50i turns into 50p by blending), but that requires a very intelligent deinterlacer, and sort of has to create some information from nothing. Unfortunately, I don’t use Handbrake, because I want full control, so I use AviSynth. The list of deinterlacers that can solve your problem is long (External filters - Avisynth wiki), but some are better than others, and which one is better often depends on the type of content of the video (lots of motion, etc.).

The other choice is since the content was actually 25 frames per second, you can convert from 50i to 25p. This uses a different type of filter (External filters - Avisynth wiki) that is more like the one used to solve case #1.

Good places to ask questions on how to do this best using HandBrake are and


It’s a long while since I did any Handbrake work, but I had great success in converting DVDs to 50p in combination with the decomb filter. The playback was better than any on-the-fly deinterlacer I’ve seen. This worked very nicely on sources that had low noise levels in the source, and gave me files that played well on old iPads which by default would be terrible with 50i video.

I’ve not bothered for a long while as it was taking too much time and storage space is no longer an issue, but I might now go have a play with a 1080i50 file just to see how the output compares with the Vero’s own deinterlacing.

Thanks everyone, this has really opened my eyes.
Funnily it’s the Red Dwarf Blu-ray that has just been fixed/replaced (previously it was mastered in p25, now it’s i50). I have very few interlaced Blus so hadn’t noticed this before.
Thanks @nabsltd for all the avisyth info. I think for my purpose it’s a bit too complicated to learn. So I’ll try the h264 route.