Best way to copy DVD movie for Pi/OSMC usage?

I haven’t had much luck doing this (tried some dvd ripping programs) and wanted ask here. What I want to do is quickly and without quality loss or re-encoding; pop in a dvd to my computer and copy it to a file (using any free or paid programs for windows). A single ISO would be great if possible. Put the file on the network and using my Pi3 and OSMC play it. Is this possible or would there be a need for further processing?

MakeMKV is great for this. Free (for now), works with DVD, BluRay and UHD. It does not do any processing of the video and does allow you to make a ‘backup’ copy with the copy protection stripped out.

Hi, here is another one that is open source ie, free.

HandBrake is a tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs.

Reasons you’ll love HandBrake:

Convert video from nearly any format
Free and Open Source
Multi-Platform (Windows, Mac and Linux)

Supported Input Sources:
Handbrake can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or BluRay sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.

Outputs:

File Containers: .MP4(.M4V) and .MKV
Video Encoders: H.265 (x265 and QuickSync), H.264(x264 and QuickSync), H.265 MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, VP8, VP9 and Theora
Audio Encoders: AAC / HE-AAC, MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis
Audio Pass-thru: AC-3, E-AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD, AAC and MP3 tracks

Handbreak is the reason there are so many broken encodes floating around. If people are not knowing how to use it they should stay away from it.

Makemkv on the other hand isn’t a one click encoding tool its just a muxer that extracts the video and audio streams from DvD or BD file structure and puts them into a mkv

Thanks for the info. The makemkv seems to be the best choice. Works perfect for movies and “ok” for tv shows (sometimes combines episodes). Is this going to be the limitation to OSMC? I would love to just make a 1:1 ISO of the whole dvd and play it as a dvd player would.

You can use MakeMKV to just create an ISO (they call it making a backup) with the copy protection stripped. I personally rip all episodes as I don’t like having the DVD menus.

If episodes are being combined, it’s how the DVD was mastered. You can use a free tool like MKVToolNix to split the MKV. I run into the occasional TV show DVD where I need to do this.

DISCLAIMER: Tools like MakeMKV may not be legal to use in all countries. Check your local laws before using it :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know about the “backup” feature. Its greyed out for me and trying it command-line gives me the error “Can’t read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive” which is documented on the makemkv site and is out of the scope of this forum. I’ll have to look into it further.

I never use the backup feature, but if I remember right, you have to use it before you try to open the disc. The MakeMKV forums are helpful, so if you continue to have problems just ask there.

Could not get the “backup” feature to work with makemkv, but I got DVDFab’s similar function to work. Works perfectly. Single ISO file and all menus and stuff works in OSMC. Just what I was looking for.

Ah, my bad, I forgot that the MakeMKV backup feature only works for BluRay, not for DVDs.