Best way to set up Vero 4K+

Hi,

My first post, so please excuse me for asking a general setup question rather than something specific.

I received my 4K+ a couple of weeks ago, and generally I’ve been very pleased. It coincided with me getting a new TV (Samsung QE55Q90R). I also have a YouView box and a Roku Streaming Stick+.

The issue I’m having is getting a consistently good quality picture across all the devices. I get the Vero 4K+ looking OK, but then the YouView is too dark.

At the moment, I have everything connected to a Denon AV amp. And then a single HDMI cable to the TV. Because of this setup, I only have one “input” on the TV to set the various display settings (brightness/colour etc.). Thus, any changes I make affect all the input devices.

My question is, would I be better connecting everything directly to the TV, and then using ARC to push the “sound” back to the AV amp?

Are TVs able to effectively “pass through” the sound channel without any re-encoding? What I’m worried about is that the TV will try and decode the sound, and then push it back to the Amp in a format it knows about. So, I’d lose the “HD” sound options that the 4K+ pushes to my amp at the moment… I know that Samsung TVs no longer support DTS for example, so I’d hate to lose that.

Any advice gratefully received on the best way to set this up.

Cheers

I connected verything to the Receiver - as I have other devices connected to the TV - all passing by it. Makes it esier.

Maybe just have the youview box directly connected to the tv with everything else through the amp. There is rarely any surround sound on the freeview channels nowadays but if you need it I think ARC will be ok for Dolby on a Samsung (or you could even connect optical to the amp for sound only)

What Denon AVR do you have?

My Denon AVR has picture controls for each input and I had to experiment with the settings to get a consistent quality picture across each input.
For example my PC connected to it needed the contrast and brightness turning down quite a bit, whereas the Now TV stick which is basically a Roku stick needed them turning up a fair bit.
I try not to touch the other Denon picture settings like NR, enhancer and saturation.

Thanks all. Embarrassingly, I didn’t realise that the Denon amp had its own picture settings. So, that’s given me scope to fine tune things further. I’ve just chosen HDMI ports at random, so I’ve not idea what the settings are currently :slight_smile:

My plan now is to connect the Vero 4K+ directly to the TV and get it looking good. Then try again through the amp with all the picture setting switched off. If that’s OK, then adjust the YouView and Roku via the amp picture settings to get them looking good.

RTFM time for me…

Are you going to have any audio with Atmos? Be aware that many TVs will not send that via ARC, so you would be best to have everything connected to the Denon and adjusting it there.

Yes - I’ll eventually get everything connected via the amp (as I have it now). I just want to test out that I can get it looking good directly on the TV to start - and then via the amp. The most important thing to get looking good is the Vero, so that comes first.

I can put up with Coronation Street looking a bit out on YouView :slight_smile:

Thanks