Black Screen on HDMI

If they have both been plugged into the same TV at any point, there is a small possibility that the TV may have “zapped” the HDMI output of the Pi. This could happen if the TV is of ungrounded (2 pin or double insulated) power plug type and you plugged the HDMI cable into the Pi when the power cable was already connected, or some other cable that could be traced back to a power socket - such as USB cable going to a hard drive or hub with its own power adaptor.

Ungrounded (double insulated) devices can often have quite high voltage differentials on their “earth” connections on signal cables compared to other devices, enough that if you touch both the HDMI socket and the earth of the HDMI cable you can feel a slight shock - this has been known to occasionally zap devices.

If a replacement Pi works OK I would be wary of the TV’s that the faulty Pi’s have been plugged into as they may have an electrical fault, and I would ensure that I always plugged in the HDMI cable before connecting the power to the Pi so that no high voltage discharge could happen at the HDMI port. (It would happen at the power socket instead, where it is far less likely to cause damage) I would also not unplug the HDMI cable until after the power plug is unplugged.

tried composite?

I had the same problem but it appears random: I start and see the main OSM menu and all is right. If I shutdown the TV but not the Vero, the next time I want to play something I have black screen. A similar problem appears at runtime too with a sudden freeze of the main menu until a reboot.
I use Vero from months and never had these problems. It seems all started when I start using S/PDIF as digital audio out for a good passthrought od DTS and AC3

This thread is specific to Rasp Pi. This issue relating to Vero is not the same here.

I had the same problem.
you have to wait a relatively long time
for me the splash screen appeared after 5-7 minutes

I observed the same issue after a power loss on my Pi2 + LG TV a couple of days ago.
The Pi2 was obviously there as SSH was working and outputs from the tvservice command looked fine, but my TV reported “No Signal”. Powering off / Unplugging all USB devices connected to the Pi2 / Rebooting / changing HDMI cable / changing HDMI port didn’t help.

It started working again after adding hdmi_safe=1 to the /boot/config.txt and restarting the Pi2.
But now even after removing hdmi_safe=1 again it is still working. So for me it felt like touching the confog.txt solved the issue. My current config.txt is:

disable_overscan=1
sdtv_mode=2
dtparam=spi=on
start_x=1
sdtv_aspect=1
gpu_mem_1024=256
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
avoid_warnings=1
# hdmi_safe=1

I am having what sounds like the exact same problem as described, however the pi 2 works with my computer monitor but not the tv. yet the tv works with my laptop through the same HDMI port.
Did anyone get anywhere with this issue?

As to whether the issue is the same is debatable - you need to provide (debug) logs from boot to convince us (see earlier in the thread for how to do this).
It may be as simple as the settings you have preclude the TV from working.
You did shutdown the pi, connect the TV, turn the TV on, and finally boot the pi?
Derek

As this thread keeps getting resurrected from time to time, and it’s the first one I found when I had the same problem, I’ll post here in case it helps other people.

It would often happen when starting to play videos or stopping playing them, probably because I had “adjust display refresh rate to match video” set in Kodi. Also the screen would be black on first boot after power on. Sometimes turning the TV off and on brought the image and sound back, other times I’d have to ssh in and reboot.

Also it wasn’t a problem that was restricted to OSMC, it also happened with Raspbian.

If I edited /boot/config.txt and added config_hdmi_boost=6, one more than the default value of 5 on a Pi 3, and rebooted then the problem went gone away, or at least it hasn’t happened again in two weeks.

You can check the Pi’s current setting with “vcgencmd get_config config_hdmi_boost”. 0 is the minimum and 11 is the maximum but the documentation suggests you should use the lowest value which works, but no higher.

I guess another solution would be to use a shorter/better HDMI cable.

Some links: