Black Screen on Pi 2 when switching HDMI on AVR

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and Kodi and I’m currently running the newest OSMC version on a Raspberry Pi 2. Everything works like a charm - except from one thing. After a while - when I have switched the HDMI-Input on the AVR for a few times - I only have a black screen. The AVR still receives a signal (it does not show the Denon logo) but I can’t do anything. When I unplug the Pi and turn it on again - it works but only for a while.

Do you have a tip for me?

Kind regards,
Chris

Well first tip is to not unplug the Pi in that situation but try to login via ssh and check the status.
Alternatively login via Web interface and see if Kodi still alive.

If you can still login via ssh or/and Kodi is alive provide debug logs.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Hey fzinken,

thank you very much for your quick and helpful response. I have activated debug logging but unfortunately I realized that I cannot access Kodi’s web service nor can I ssh the device. Is there any other way to upload the log files? I also don’t get an access via FileZilla and I assume that If I reboot the device by unplugging the power cord, the log file will be gone. Is that assumption correct?

Kind regards,
Chris

PS: I opened a ssh connection after reboot. When the error occurs I receive the message: Connection closed by remote host.

The Kodi log will be retained even if you unplug so that would give us a first view. If that doesn’t solve the mystery we would need to activate persitent logging for the rest.
Anyhow suggest to upload current view after next crash with grab-logs -A and share the URL.
Also did you check normal culprits (power supply, sd card, overheating,…)?

Hi, thank you again. Attached you will find my log file.

https://paste.osmc.tv/arijobuqil

I can assure that this does not happen due to overheating. I am just about to check whether it is due to SD Card or power issues, but I think this is not the case because I didn’t have these issues beforehand (when I was running OpenELEC).

Kind regards and thank you very much for the effort you put into this,
Chris

07:09:21.137 T:1905259264 DEBUG: CWebServer[8080]: request received for /jsonrpc?request=%7B%22jsonrpc%22%3A%222.0%22%2C%22method%22%3A%22System.Shutdown%22%2C%22id%22%3A1%7D

Seems someone or something is sending a shutdown command via Webserver

1 Like

I think, I love you. Thank you. Then I have a clue. I control everything via iPhone and iRule. I assume there is a hidden PowerOff-Command maybe. Didn’t think about that because I thought that if the Pi is turned off, I would see the Denon logo and not a black screen. This logo always appears when there is no signal and I thought when the Pi is turned off via remote there is no signal and the Denon logo should appear. I will check and report. Thank you!