Blank screen after RPi4 switches on

Hi there,

My OSMC did an auto update recently, and when I switch the power on for the Pi the screen stays blank.
I can still hear the sound from the ez maintenance add-on doing it’s thing.
If I power off again or press CTRL-ALT-DEL, the Pi will reboot and I get my screen back.

This is a little bit annoying and it has to have something to do with the latest update.

Any suggestions to resolve this little problem (or another update to fix it) would be appreciated.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

My OSMC cannot update without your permission.

Do you know which version of OSMC you upgraded from?

Hi @sam_nazarko

I can’t tell you which version OSMC updated from, but in the system information it is listed as “OSMC Source Media Center 2023.01-1”, also “Linux 5.10.78-7-osmc”.

More than likely I gave permission for an update to be downloaded when the system prompted me, but I can’t really recall.

I haven’t been running OSMC for that long… I downloaded it using the Raspberry Pi Op Sys installer tool for PC.

A little more information about the problem:- when I power the Pi up, I see the OSMC logo on the blue background, but then all I get is a blank screen (although I can hear the sound the system makes when it first starts up).
Pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL will reboot the Pi and I get the home screen back again.

I’m using the default Kodi skin, I find it runs faster than the OSMC menu.

Have you tried reproducing with a fresh installation?

I suspect you’ve installed an add-on that may have caused this.

Hi @sam_nazarko

I have just done a fresh install. Wiped the SD card and used the Pi imaging tool to reload OSMC.
Despite having to reload all the add-ons I use, the problem appears to be fixed.

My best guess is that one of the add-ons for free to air tv was trying to download updates/times during the startup process.
All of my add-ons now require me to manually check for an update so hopefully this blank screen problem won’t happen again.

I think that may be a likely culprit. I was doing some testing on my PC with Kodi v20 and an update to my PVR add-on triggered a black screen and lockup during profile loading when certain settings were used. Long story short, the same condition was found independently with a different PVR add-on and they were both being caused by an order of operations that wasn’t optimal (at least that is how I under stood it). The fix made it into Kodi v20 final.