Blu-Ray ripped subs not playing

I’m using OSMC on my Raspberry Pi 2 and any file I ripped myself using a BD won’t play the built in subs. I tested a file and downloaded an external SRT and muxed it together and that works. Is there something I can do to get them to work?


Edit: All the movies tested work on Vero 4K+ and my computer.

Are these muxed into a mkv or external? I’m not aware of any issues with idx/sub files. If external are they named correctly?

They’re ripped straight from the disc. No muxing at all. I only rip the English tracks and forced subs.


How are you ripping the blurays?

Thanks Tom.

Make MKV - works perfectly on my Vero 4K+ and Mac.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

  • enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

  • reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

  • reproduce the issue

  • upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Logs above. Oddly as you can see sometimes the subs work and sometimes they don’t even selecting the same movie multiple times. Every movie I played was ripped by me from a disc.

Edit: Also noticed it’s not playing the subtitle track by default. Maybe I’m missing a setting but I selected subs enabled and changed the languages to English. Set default for all media. Not sure why it’s happening. I know the pi2 is old at this point. Might be time for a second vero lol.

I think there is (was) an issue with MakeMKV where the forced subs were not marked as the default or forced sub. I seem to remember having to use MKVToolNix to fix it. I’d have to go back and look as some rips to see exactly what I did.

1 Like

Any movie that has forced subs I manually select the forced track in MKVToolNix. But my wife likes full subs so even if I a movie has forced we watch with regular subs.

I experimented with this a little, and the only way I can get the forced subs to work reliable is to set the sub track to default,forced. If I just set it to forced, the subs don’t seem to show unless I enable them. I suspect that this may be a Kodi bug. I will do some more testing to try and narrow down what’s happening.

It’s not an issue specifically with forced subs, it’s any subs. Even when I enable them from the app. They just don’t show up on screen.