Bluetooth keyboard not working on kodi 17

Hi, reading again grahamh’s message i have to specify that it is not properly the same thing, since for me the USB keyboard is working perfectly. In the meantime I moved the PI to a decent monitor and tried some other stuff from console… apt-getting and reinstalling bluetooth, updating an so on with no changes. Here using bluetoothctl with agent on I was unable to pair the keyboard getting everytime a pairing error. So I deleted all the other devices, retried hcconfig reset and up, then making pair, trust, and connect i suceeded to pair the keyboard, and it was finally working on console! I rebooted but in kodi no signs of life :(… from console i remade all with sudo, since i was not able to call mediacenter from osmc user, again the keyboard paired and worked in the console, but in kodi again nothing. Have the pairing and the connection to be done with sudo or osmc user is enough…? Then i have to mention that with sudo hcitool cc mac i get an Input/Output error :confused: … some other ideas?
Thanks very much indeed for your help.

Ah with “hcitool con” it shows the keyboard connected… it’s definitely working in console, but not in kodi :(…

Hi,

Once its paired on the console, are you not able to issue:

sudo systemctl start mediacenter

Instead of a restart? If you do that, is there any response in kodi?

Being as you have now had success with hcconfig, it may worth trying to pair again using myosmc; with no other devices paired.

Thanks Tom.

Hi, yes I tried but no response in kodi … I tried also to delete and pair again using myosmc: pairing seems successful but again no response in the kodi interface. In truth I suspect that the keyboard was working in console mode before also: before connecting the PI to the monitor I always used ssh, never used directly the BT keyboard on the PI console, but I saw the special key chars when rebooting, as exactly I see now when I press the arrow keys on the console… it seems as if the keyboard is sending the key signals always to console and not to kodi…

Hi,

Whats the make and model of the keyboard?

Thanks Tom.

Hi, it is quite cheap and unbranded and it is listed as “Bluetooth 3.0 keyboard”.
Here is the model

But since it’s working in all other devices and os’s in PI (also in a fresh install on another microsd i just tried), I start thinking there is something wrong in my updated osmc install. I think I made the update using apt-get update/upgrade instead of kodi automatic update: could it have generated some problem?

Hi,

If you issued:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Then it shouldn’t make any difference, if you used:

sudo apt-get upgrade

The latter has been known to cause issues in the past, if this is the case; it may be worth trying a fresh install.

Thanks Tom.

Hi Tom, i’m pretty sure in fact i did dist-upgrade since the system give a message to do it instead of normal upgrade… thanks anyway for your help, the bluetooth commands will be helpful to me in future in any case. Probably reconfigure the fresh install will take less time if something really went wrong in my original install.

Hi,

Its certainly worth a try with with a fresh install, good luck.

Thanks Tom.

Hi finally reconfigured a fresh install and updated to 2017.5.2 Now the keyboard is working :slight_smile: … The funny thing is that now the shinecon joypad is no more usable to navigate between kodi’s menus when before it was working… It is now usable only as mouse emulation with the arrow pointer. When I paired it in the previous installation kodi asked automatically to configure it as an input device, now in the fresh install the procedure (settings/input) seems not to work even manually since the joypad key assignment goes to timeout not catching the pad input… Probably I must be pretty unlucky with my hardware… the strange thing is that in kodi 16 all was flawless working… Anyway the keyboard issue was more important for me, i can survive without the joypad, but some idea or other advise is always well accepted. Thanks.