BlueZ update

Merry Christmas and thanks for the update.

I see there are some Bluetooth updates. I have installed BlueZ 5.62 using these instructions for Amazon remote control support (as OSMC has been on 5.43 for a long while). Do you know if this new OSMC system update will conflict with that?

Vero 4K+ on OSMC 2021.11-2

Installing different versions of BlueZ would cause issues whenever we release a BlueZ update. We didn’t this time.

It’s best for us to bump the version to the latest and take things from there instead. I’m happy to do this if you are willing to test.

Cheers

Sam

I see. Yes that sounds ideal, and I’m happy to test.

Thanks

I split this off in a new topic.

Try this:

sudo wget "https://collab.osmc.tv/s/NhZOVUqlD3Ox3MM/download" -O bluez.deb
sudo dpkg -i bluez.deb
reboot

Cheers

Sam

(and Merry Christmas)

1 Like

I installed this on my spare test device (with BlueZ 5.62 already present and working) and it appears to have failed! Would it be better to restore a fresh OSMC image and install the .deb package on that?

Startup screen:

[FAILED] Failed to start Vero3 Bluetooth support.
See 'systemctl status sdio-bt-firmware.service' for details.
osmc@osmc-test:~$ systemctl status sdio-bt-firmware.service
* sdio-bt-firmware.service - Vero3 Bluetooth support
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/sdio-bt-firmware.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2021-12-26 10:39:23 GMT; 11min ago
  Process: 2469 ExecStart=/usr/bin/hciattach -s 115200 /dev/ttyS1 bcm43xx 2000000 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Dec 26 10:39:23 osmc-test systemd[1]: Starting Vero3 Bluetooth support...
Dec 26 10:39:23 osmc-test systemd[2469]: sdio-bt-firmware.service: Failed to execute command: No such file or directory
Dec 26 10:39:23 osmc-test systemd[2469]: sdio-bt-firmware.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/bin/hciattach: No such file or directory
Dec 26 10:39:23 osmc-test systemd[1]: sdio-bt-firmware.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Dec 26 10:39:23 osmc-test systemd[1]: sdio-bt-firmware.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Dec 26 10:39:23 osmc-test systemd[1]: Failed to start Vero3 Bluetooth support.

Full logs

You can downgrade to the older version with APT.

OK, just to be safe I restored a fresh image of 2021.11-2 and confirmed that the preinstalled BlueZ 5.43 was working correctly. Then I installed the bluez.deb package above and rebooted, and now bluetoothctl -v shows 5.62 however it isn’t showing the default controller and scan on doesn’t do anything. Also I’m getting the same errors as before with the sdio-bt-firmware.service

Full logs

Downgrading the package fully should restore everything.

Downgraded to 5.43 with sudo apt-get install armv7-bluez-osmc=5.43-6 , rebooted and now working - but not with the Amazon remote of course as that requires at least 5.50.

Is there anything else you want me to test?

Not at this time. It’s on my list.

It took me a bit of time to look in to this.

It looks like the hciattach utility was deprecated a while ago with btattach. For now, I’ve bumped the BlueZ version and enabled support for deprecated tools as a stop-gap:

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Run the following command to add the staging repository:
    echo 'deb http://apt.osmc.tv buster-devel main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list
  3. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  4. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you remove /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list after updating.

I’d also recommend you deactivate the staging repository. You can do so with the following command:
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list.

Please note that we will automatically disable this update channel after 14 days on your device in case you forget to do so to ensure that your system reverts to the stable update channel.

1 Like

Thanks Sam.

Installed the update and paired the Amazon remote successfully with bluetoothctl. It is working well - like the manual 5.62 installation I had been using previously. Not seeing any errors.

Thanks for confirming.