Boot from USB and save the rest on SD Card

Hi guys,

So my osmc install boots from a 2GB USB drive. Is there a way to force the addons/files to be saved on the SD?
Or will this decrease the performance?

Thanks,
MIltos

You aren’t booting from the USB. Rpi can ONLY boot from SDcard. You seem to be running the system off of your USB drive though. The availability of this option is really just a legacy left over from the Raspbmc days and the benefits realized from this type of install were resolved long ago. From this point, just backup your installation using the MyOSMC settings addon and make sure the backup is placed in a safe location (ie: not on your SDcard), then re-install on your SDcard and restore your backup.

Hi

I assume you installed to USB via the OSMC installer. In this case, the remainder of your SD card is not formatted. If you’d like to use it, then you’ll need to format it first.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install parted partprobe
sudo parted -s /dev/mmcblk0 mkpart primary ext4 256M 100%
sudo partprobe
sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p2

You can now mount it wherever you’d like. You may wish to mount the /home/osmc directory (make a backup first) and then add it to /etc/fstab. You will want to backup and copy over your existing directory first. I recommend:

• Stop Kodi
  • Mount to /mnt
  • Copy /home/osmc to /mnt
  • umount /mnt
  • edit fstab to mount mmcblk0p2 to /home/osmc

Sam