Bootloader failed to update on March update

Just saw this, that’s explains it, thank you :slight_smile:

Should be fine now, yes.

1 Like

I get this error message when I update my 4K (non plus) and it is for the same reason, was bricked and recovered. Is there any issue in not fixing it and living with the error or should I take the steps above to fix it? I’m assuming revmodel would be ‘4k’?

You won’t be able to update beyond quite old versions if you stay on an old bootloader.
How have you determined that this is the cause of the problem?

Sam

Hi @sam_nazarko, I see the same error message as the screenshot in the first post. My 4K was bricked a while back after I put LibreELEC on it and I used a recovery image to get it working again. When I get the on screen message that there are updates they all seem to install except I see that bootloader error. I am used to the error itself by now but if it’s preventing me getting new features/improvements of the 4K maybe I should try to fix it. I see the solution in this thread but was worried that fixing it could mean my 4k goes back to being bricked

Sorry, I’ve re-read your post and now understand that you caused issues with your device by installing LE in the past; not that this update caused a problem.

It should be trivial to solve. Firstly, is this a Vero 4K or Vero 4K +?
What’s the output of fw_printenv | paste-log?

Sam

Hello,
the issue appears again while updating from october 2020 release to november release…

Did you follow the instructions above that solved the issue for others?

Provide logs please so that support personnel can see and possibly understand what the cause of the problem is.

Hello !
I’m quite afraid to do so since it lead to an bootloader failure, requiring to reflash it…
But if you tell me to do so, I will !

Provide logs please. Always provide logs for support requests.

Sure:

sudo apt install vero3-bootloader-osmc 
    Paramétrage de vero3-bootloader-osmc (1.6.0-1) ...
    Bootloader and device mismatch
    dpkg: erreur de traitement du paquet vero3-bootloader-osmc (--configure) :
     installed vero3-bootloader-osmc package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1Paramétrage de vero3-bootloader-osmc (1.6.0-1) ...
    Bootloader and device mismatch
    dpkg: erreur de traitement du paquet vero3-bootloader-osmc (--configure) :
     installed vero3-bootloader-osmc package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
    Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
     vero3-bootloader-osmc
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
 vero3-bootloader-osmc
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

The problem certainly doesn’t re-appear with this update.
You need to follow the instructions that I linked to in your previous post in the release thread.

Then it will work fine

All I can think is you have stayed on the March update, because updating the bootloader gave you some issues if I recall. Can you confirm this is the case?

If so – then running the commands I’ve linked will update the device with a new bootloader, but this bootloader was giving you problems, so may cause you to need to reflash the device.

I did the “fw_setenv” command lines, then the bootloader could intall, then I rebooted, then, the awful “please stand by” screen of death is back forever…

Nope, The october update worked !

I don’t see how that can be the case.
You may have been on the October update, but still with old bootloader.

Maybe…

(too late to check !!)

I would suggest reinstalling and verifying the bootloader version with dpkg -l vero3-bootloader-osmc.

Yep !
I’m not sure which bootloader I should flash…

I’ve flashed a “vero4Kplus-oldbootloader.img” 10725622 octets), (only the bootloader) then restart:>

waiting for root filesystem device /dev/vero-nand/root 
Fatal error : could not find root filesystem.... 

and a rescue console