Bootloader failed to update on March update

Should I reinstall osmc from an image ?
I’m trying with different images, from usb stick :

the 2010.10-1 leads rapidly to “hardware is faulty” screen (nice one with graphics, not command line)
the 2020.06-03 installs without error, then reboot to a black screen, and a "please stand by" forever after reboot

At this point, I’m confused where you are with things.

Do you mean 2020.10-1?

Hello,
yes, it was 2020.10-1, sorry, I was a little bit tired yesterday.

So I managed to reinstall and upgrade to the november update, by using the 2020063 img but replacing the filsystem.tar.xz with the one from the 20200204 and after the install flashing the oldbootloader with USBburningtool, and finally upgrade to the november version with the osmc app., except the bootloader.

So, the bootloader is an old one :

dpkg -l vero3-bootloader-osmc
    Souhait=inconnU/Installé/suppRimé/Purgé/H=à garder
    | État=Non/Installé/fichier-Config/dépaqUeté/échec-conFig/H=semi-installé/W=attend-traitement-déclenchements
    |/ Err?=(aucune)/besoin Réinstallation (État,Err: majuscule=mauvais)
    ||/ Nom                   Version      Architecture Description
    +++-=====================-============-============-=================================
    iF  vero3-bootloader-osmc 1.6.0-1      armhf        Vero 4K/4K+ UBoot package

and the kernel is the 3.14.29-156-osmc

What are the drawbacks of keeping this bootloader ?
How comes it’s impossible to install a new one ?

Thanks !

I think the best thing at this point is for you to provide a full set of logs, so we can see exactly what’s on your box: grab-logs -A

Ok, that will be a lot of info to process !
Here are some of the logs, I did not put everyone of them for privacy reason, but if you need one, just tell me.

Your cmdline seems to be for a non-plus Vero4K. So is it a plus or non-plus version?

Yes, it is a +
(so says the stickers under the box…)

If it’s a plus, you should have run the two fw_setenv commands above – which are for the plus version – but there’s no revision=4kplus in your cmdline. This is probably why you are seeing the “Bootloader and device mismatch” error.

I think @sam_nazarko will need to advise you on the correct sequence of steps to avoid bricking the device.

Yes, if I run those commands, the bootloader installs without error, but then the device refuses to boot. (“please wait” screen)…
Thank you for your advices, and the time you took to help !

I’m checking this problem.

I’ve looked in to this.
If I remember correctly, there’s some issue which prevents the bootloader from booting the kernel when your bootloader is updated.

It would be very difficult to diagnose why without direct UART access.

As a stop-gap, you could install this bootloader package https://collab.osmc.tv/s/vSCSD2aEuosKifC (using dpkg -i *.deb). It’s an empty package but will satisfy dependencies when upgrading, and the version has been set so high it will never be superseded.

Thanks.
If I understand, it will prevent error message while upgrading, because it won’t try to upgrade the bootloader ?

So what are the drawbacks of keeping the old bootloader ?
(except not crashing my box !!)

Not much – but it may be needed for booting 4.9 on your box.