Sad face loop afer updating

Hello,
I get the sad face loop after upgrading my vero4K+ through myosmc update.

If I manualy start mediacenter from command line, I get:
sudo /usr/bin/mediacenter
chgrp: impossible d’accéder à ‘/sys/module/amlvideodri/parameters/freerun_mode’: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
chmod: impossible d’accéder à ‘/sys/module/amlvideodri/parameters/freerun_mode’: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
chmod: impossible d’accéder à ‘/sys/module/amlvideodri/parameters/freerun_mode’: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
chgrp: impossible d’accéder à ‘/dev/video10’: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
chmod: impossible d’accéder à ‘/dev/video10’: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
chmod: impossible d’accéder à ‘/dev/video10’: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
chgrp: impossible d’accéder à ‘/sys/module/amlvideodri/parameters/freerun_mode’: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
chgrp: impossible d’accéder à ‘/sys/module/amvdec_vc1/parameters/force_prog’: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
chmod: impossible d’accéder à ‘/sys/module/amvdec_vc1/parameters/force_prog’: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
chmod: impossible d’accéder à ‘/sys/module/amvdec_vc1/parameters/force_prog’: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
Starting Kodi…
ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting
Kodi exited with return code 255 after 0 hours, 0 minutes and 3 seconds

Maybe this issue is linked to the bootlader issue I already had Bootloader failed to update on March update - #51 by sam_nazarko
Sam send me a bootloader with a false version so that it won’t upgrade to avoid the forever “please stand by” screen. (vero3-bootloader-osmc_999.999_all.deb)

So : Should I try to upgrade the bootloader ? How ?
If not, hHow can I revert to the previous version ?

Thank you !

Can you post some full logs?

Hello !
yes, they are here:
https://paste.osmc.tv/qamehizece

The log shows that you have a non-plus Vero4K.

What’s the output of the command cat /proc/device-tree/model

cat /proc/device-tree/model
Vero4KPlus

So you actually have a 4K plus, but the cmdline says you have a non-plus 4K.

So first, the cmdline needs to be fixed. I’ll leave @sam_nazarko to give you the correct command to do that.

Second, you need to fix the bootloader problem. Clearly, setting the version to 999.999 didn’t help. Sam should also be able to help here.

Thanks for your help !
I’ll wait for Sam to answer…

If it’s a 4K +, see: Bootloader failed to update on March update - #13 by sam_nazarko.

Bad news, history is repeating iteslf:
I typed those commands:

sudo fw_setenv revmodel ‘4kplus’
sudo fw_setenv initargs ‘initargs=rootfstype=ramfs init=/init console=ttyS0,115200 no_console_suspend earlyprintk=aml-uart,0xc81004c0 ramoops.pstore_en=1 ramoops.record_size=0x8000 ramoops.console_size=0x4000 revision=4kplus’

reboot, but same error as mediacenter launches, so I tried to update the bootloader:

apt install vero3-bootloader-osmc=1.6.0-1

and the “please stand by” screen stays forever…

If it can help, I got myself a USB to TTL adapter, but I don’t know how top plug it to the vero4k+ : I’ll have to build a wire with a 3.5 jack ?
Is the wiring same as here:
pc_cable

Thanks !

I build one, but I haven’t succeeded in connected it to a console.
Maybe I was wrong and the serial port isn’t one of the jack plug ?

Well, I’m waiting for Sam’s intructions !!

Thanks again.

I reread the original thread Bootloader failed to update on March update - #27 by Snoop and there you confirmed that you ran those fw_setenv commands to update the cmdline to a 4kplus, yet six months and a full reinstall later your log shows that the cmdline is/was still showing a non-plus 4K.

Perhaps @sam_nazarko can clarify what might be happening here.

@Snoop must have reflashed the boot loader. Nothing else would change this.

Are you saying that the bootloader install will change the cmdline?

That seems unlikely since the bootloader’s postinst script checks that /proc/cmdline and /proc/device-tree/model are for the same device.

I believe he’s manually flashing an old bootloader via USB Burning Tool and not updating the bootloader via OSMC.

I’m still unclear what the root cause of the original problem was since I see there was also a thread from March 2020 "Please stand by" after march update

If @Snoop has corrected the cmdline using those fw_setenv commands, perhaps it might be time for a full reinstall from a fresh image. What do you think?

I think we need more information about how he ended up in this situation and what he did recently…

It will be difficult for me to remember the precise elements leading to the original problem.

From what I remember, an update from the osmc interface did not succeed : the reboot showed a “please stand by” screen forever.

To start again, I had to manually flash an “old bootloader”.
Then Sam made a special version 999.999 so that it would not be updated by mistake.

Recently, I did the update through the osmc interface, and this time when rebooting, got stuck to a sad face, as described in this thread.
Then I ran the command to to set the fw_setenv , update the bootloader forcing a “downgrade” from 999.999, ans got stuck at the “please stand by” screen.

In a precedent conversation, Sam told me that we could debug the boot process if we can get some infos thought the uart interface, that’s why I asked about the TTL-usb interface…

There shouldn’t have been a need to do this.

Do you know what fw_setenv commands you ran?

Yep :