Bricked vero on using different power supply?

There is literally no problem to fix.

This “little mistake” will happen 1 in 100000 times and is as much a design problem as not making the Vero bullet proof for the American market.

1 Like

That is just the attitude that I have seen put so many companies stuck and wondering why… Never did anyone say or imply “Bullet Proof” things happen… mistakes are made… can’t prevent everything I know that from years of experience… but if you truly are a OSMC Developer and take that attitude of defending with some generalization publically I certainally hope you think twice in the future.

How about… I understand how this could be a problem with deciding to use the barrel jack. We could always put in the future for new purchasers to be aware of the same connector having different levels that could potentally cause damage to the unit. Thanks for your imput and I’m sorry for the issue you have had.

Now that might go a lot further then

“There is literally no problem to fix”

Don’t you think?

We have done this: we have clearly labeled the maximum voltage and amperage for the device on the base of the device (you will see this by the MAC address of your unit). However, I will endeavour to make users more aware of the dangers of using the wrong PSU.

How can the VERO team teach you observation?

This is me speaking as a individual, not as a OSMC moderator.

I find it hard to believe that over the years you have not noticed that several products all use a standard power connector (SOHO routers / modem / PC speakers / laptop power supply units) and you have not checked what PSU you are plugging into what device.

To prevent you killing any other devices in your home I suggest you grab a label maker and mark what PSU goes with what device.

Great suggestion… I will do just that… and no… most of the products I plug in… and there are many I don’t move around and get to tinker with and learn from as much as this little box. It wasn’t lack of observation, just a focus on something different at the time. I think I knew right when I plugged it in I should have double checked.

I have 5 of these very same connectors all neatly tucked away in a enclosed media center. My fault… I don’t blame anyone but myself… I do wish there was some failsafe… a simple fuse just for the future if the product will ever want to expand into the consumer market beyond those that concern themselves with the powercord. Just a heads up, but my post seems to be taken as an attack of some sort.

I’ve seen many tech companies over the years come and go and if you look back you can see the misguided leadership of some and the unwillingness to simple listen to solid input. The end consumer is your friend…

enough said on the topic… hope it raised enough attention to help someone out there make some smart decisions going foward. I wonder how many over the years will find this site after the same thing happens…

Portable hard disks are frequent victims of overvoltage. Unfortunately there is no still no industry adopted solution even after several years. While I recognise this issue is unfortunate, I don’t believe it is exclusive to the Vero.

We can take some measures: fuse protection (which will only go so far), and perhaps, a non-standard colour for our power cable to make it easily discernible in the future. I’ll see how we can reduce the incidence of this in the future.

I’m not sure that’s a fair assessment at all. I do appreciate the confusion on a consumer level that identically shaped connectors can bring. I have listened to your thoughts and do respect them, but for now, much like the manufacturers of many other products, we do not have a ‘perfect’ solution for this yet. All we can do for now is warn users and advise them on which peripherals are suitable for their device.

Cheers

Sam

Like deciding to checking you have the correct PSU for the equipment you want to use?

[quote=“justabit, post:25, topic:4701”]
I’ve seen many tech companies over the years come and go and if you look back you can see the misguided leadership of some and the unwillingness to simple listen to solid input. [/quote]

Source?

Can’t just leave it along can you CaNsA…

no… just so you are clear… I hope that those in charge of the decisions going foward can weigh the cost vs. the customer satisifaction and then look at the cost of a fuse vs. the end customer. Just so you are clear… I can tell by the way you spell your name you are a bit on the slower side.

Source… it is what I do for a living. Since 1981, analysis and consulting for investment portfolio managers. You need a sourse… Just think of all those companies that were flying high late 90’s. Try Google. I think even you could find something useful.

Why don’t you report back and let us all know what you have learned…

Sam,

The color coding is a great solution. With a big warning about using it correctly when shipped and even on the VERO… no it isn’t exclusive to the Vero but what an opportunity to set yourself apart and let everyone that will purchase one in the future know you have thought it through… Not saying you haven’t… and again… I take full responsibility for my lapse… color coded would have easliy solved the problem… A company that will go to that level will at least show the end consumer it has been thought out and attempted to solve without causing higher costs. Still won’t prevent the accident that will occur but will sure let me know you didn’t attempt to prevent it.

Thanks for your input and your time… I’m sure you have much better things to do then respond to this.

You are hilarious.

at least I’m not slow… wonder if you have caught on yet… dobtful

Argumentum ad hominem

Closing this thread because I believe all avenues of constructive discussion are now exhausted. @justabit if you feel you have something further to have then feel free to send me a private message or start a new post.

Best

Sam