Broken GUI and freeze during boot when HDMI is connected

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

I recently bought a new TV LG OLED48C17LB and while I moved my Vero4K from my old TV to the new one I realized that it was not booting (or might be freezing during boot, Vero4K is not reachable via SSH). So, wanting to make a fresh install anyway, I installed the most recent image, but the problem remains.

Interestingly, when I boot Vero4K without HDMI connected everything works smoothly until I plug in the HDMI cable. Though the device does not freeze and is controllable, the GUI seems to be broken:

I don’t know if logs are persistent across reboots, but I provided them anyway:
https://paste.osmc.tv/qumulizevi

If you need more information about the TV or something else or if you want me to change any settings, please tell me.

Thanks a lot and kind regards,
Chris

Rx Manufacturer Name: 
Rx Product Code: 0000
Rx Serial Number: 00000000
Rx Product Name: 
Manufacture Week: 0
Manufacture Year: 1990
Physical size(cm): 0 x 0
EDID Version: 0.0
EDID block number: 0x0
blk0 chksum: 0x00
Source Physical Address[a.b.c.d]: 0.0.0.0
YCC support 0x00, VIC (native 0):
ColorDeepSupport 0x00 10/12/16/Y444 0/0/0/0

Audio {format, channel, freq, cce}
{1, 1, 0x07, 0x01}
Speaker Allocation: 0x00
Vendor: 0x000c03 (HDMI device)
MaxTMDSClock1 0 MHz
vLatency:  Invalid/Unknown
aLatency:  Invalid/Unknown
i_vLatency:  Invalid/Unknown
i_aLatency:  Invalid/Unknown
SCDC: 0
RR_Cap: 0
LTE_340M_Scramble: 0

checkvalue: 0x651a0000

This doesn’t look good. It looks like we can’t identify the TV’s EDID.

Is the HDMI cable connected directly to the LG TV?
If so – can you try a different port on the TV to rule out an issue with that port.

If that doesn’t help, can you try another HDMI cable?

Hi Sam,
thanks for your incredibly quick reply.

Unfortunately I already tried 2 other cables and all available ports with the same issue. And yes, it’s connected directly.

Chris

I’d suggest cleaning the device’s HDMI port with contact cleaner then.

Ok, I’ll try that, at least I know now what to watch out in the log files…

Short update: When I restart Kodi via SSH from the screen shown above everything works normally. I will also use an old Raspberry later this week to further rule out any issues…

I’ll keep you posted.

Chris

Update: Today I found some time for further looking into this issue and installed OSMC on an old Raspberry 1B (unfortunately my newer ones are all occupied). Same TV, brand new cable and everything went smoothly. Here are some logs in case they might be useful:
https://paste.osmc.tv/venulatika

@sam_nazarko I have given your idea another thought and it might have been that the TV was disconnected when the log above was taken. This would explain the missing data. Since Vero4K seems to crash almost immediately after boot I wonder whether there is an option to debug via USB/Network etc. to see exactly what’s happening when OSMC is turned on.

EDIT: I just found a working solution. Here is what I did: I reinstalled OSMC on an old TV (don’t if that would have been necessary, but anyway), changed to the lowest available resolution and disable CEC in System → Input → CEC Adapter. Next, I switched to my LG TV and it booted as expected in low resolution but without crashing. Here are the logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/emozuyupef. Then, I enabled CEC, changed some settings (see below) and rebooted with success (https://paste.osmc.tv/urokevesem). I don’t know if CEC really was the problem and I don’t have the time at the moment to change settings until it crashes again, but for me everything’s working smoothly now. If someone of the developers is interested in trying something out, I’m happy to assist though :slight_smile:
CEC settings that work for me:

• Enabled: YES
  • Switch source to this device on startup: NO
  • Devices to power on during startup: None
  • Devices to power off during startup: None
  • Send “Inactive source” command on shutdown: YES
  • Put devices in standby mode when activating the screensaver: NO
  • Wake devices when deactivating the screensaver: NO
  • When the TV is switched off: Ignore
  • Devices to also put in standby mode: YES
  • Use the TV’s language setting: NO
  • Action when switching to another source: None