Broken OSMC

Hello evrybody, Hello Sam!

I have been using OSMC for quite a long time and I am very happy. I have unfortunately done some manipulations including the installation of “deluge”. I ended up doing updates with the commands “sudo apt-get update”, “sudo apt-get upgrade” and “sudo apt-get dist-upgrade”. I then realized that OSMC was not starting anymore (as well as medusa -> fork of sickrage) --> “Process: 2023 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/medusa start (code=exited, status=2)” . I do not know if it has a link but I prefer to indicate it too.
Since then, I have access to raspberry via SSH but more on the screen (a sad smiley is displayed), without error messages …
Can you help me?

Thank you in advance!!!

If you have SSH access, please run grab-logs -A and let us know the URL it returns.

Hello dillthedog,

Thx for your help.
Voilà the result : https://paste.osmc.tv/otivuqoqer

It looks like your SD card might have become read-only.

To test if this is indeed the case, run:

touch ~/testzzz
ls -l ~/testzzz
reboot

Then logon again and see if the file is still there.

Hi,

It seems like your SD card may be problematic.

Some SD cards are not genuine or have a lower capacity than advertised. Some simply fail over time.

Symptoms of SD cards not working correctly are:

• Read-only behaviour, or changes made not persisting
  • A filesystem corruption error

Symptoms of counterfeit SD cards are:

• Writing works until a certain filesystem size is reached, thereafter, writes seem to cause issues where existing data is lost or newly written data is not preserved.
  • SD card fails after a short amount of time.

Counterfeit cards are usually found on Amazon and eBay.

SD cards have a limited lifespan. I recommend you change SD card and suspect that issues will no longer persist with a good card. If you would like to be a good quality SD card purpose manufactured for OSMC, then you can find one in the Store.

Hello !

After reboot : osmc@osmc:~$ sudo ls -l ~/testzz
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 4 08:02 /home/osmc/testzz
The file is still here but I used sudo to create it.

@Sam the sd card is good quality. Are you sure that is the problem ?

Either your SD Card is or you have other corruption

Jan 03 22:24:26 osmc mediacenter[433]: Could not init logging classes. Log folder error (/home/osmc/.kodi/temp/)
Jan 03 22:24:26 osmc mediacenter[433]: ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting

What is ls --lah /home/osmc/.kodi/ giving you?

Hello!

The corruption arrived just the same moment than my update (“sudo apt-get update”, “sudo apt-get upgrade” and “sudo apt-get dist-upgrade”)? :open_mouth:

I got :

osmc@osmc:~$ ls --lah /home/osmc/.kodi/
ls: unrecognized option '--lah'
Try 'ls --help' for more information.
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo ls --lah /home/osmc/.kodi
ls: unrecognized option '--lah'
Try 'ls --help' for more information.

Can I fix it?

I reformatted output using the </> key. You can now see that you used a double-dash instead of a single dash with ls -lah.

The directory is empty. All directorys and files in /home/osmc :

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo ls -lah /home/osmc/.kodi
ls: cannot access /home/osmc/.kodi: No such file or directory

I don’t know why :confused:

What does ls -la /home/osmc show?