Buffering every couple of seconds

Hmm i just tried an ftp tranfser from my server to the rpi, and it was only transfering with a speed of 40kb/sec, seems quite slow. :confused:

Ok definitly a network performance issue.
I suggest to start of with some simple ping test between OSMC and the server.
If you then want to dig deeper I suggest to install iperf on the OSMC and server.

I just did my Iperf test and everything seems normal :confused: I’m so confused right now

Could you try to set your complete network to 100 MB/s? Assuming you have a GBit Router.
Some Routers are not good with different speed devices on the same network. I guess your Desktop has a GBit nic.

What type of card do you have in the pi?

A class 4 card will cause buffering when trying to cache streaming media.

Looking at your advancedsettings.xml the readbufferfactor is huge, drop it to 1 and cachemebuffersize to 20971520 and test.

Contents of special://profile/advancedsettings.xml are...
<advancedsettings>
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>4.0</readbufferfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

looks from a network perspective good. Just to be sure that it is also stable I would add -t 240 to the iperf command to do a longer test

Very interesting thread… i have a dubs… i thinks the advancedsetting.xml it’s not working on OSMC… i try to explain my situation.
There’s my xml.file:

<advancedsettings>
    <network>
        <cachemembuffersize>157286400</cachemembuffersize>
        <readbufferfactor>40</readbufferfactor>
    </network>
</advancedsettings>

The cachesize it’s 150MB… i have try to set the readbufferfactor to 1…20…40…10000 and nothing changes… every time i tryed to watch a streaming service the stream break after 5 seconds or similar and the buffers not working.

I thinks this value it’s not be applied… instead when i start to watch the 150MB it’s no be filled and the reproduction break after about a lot of seconds.

There’s no option… i want to be filled this 150MB before to start the reproduction and i thinks it’s no possibly to obtain.

How i can know if this .xml it’s be read and it’s be applied correctly ??

I know my question it’s concern a streaming service… but i thinks there’s present a general problems whit caching on osmc…

From your log file:

<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>

Do not use cachemembuffersize 0 on a Pi, especially with buffer mode 1, this enables disk based buffering, this means that what you are trying to stream will have to be written to SD card then read back off again before being played. Buffermode 1 means this will happen even for “local” content such as NFS/SMB shares!

If your SD card is not very fast this will cause you problems. Remove the cachemembuffersize line, or set it to something reasonable between 20MB and 100MB, so that memory based buffering is used.

These settings are not part of a “fresh install”, you must have put them there yourself.

yea i put them there after the normal didn’t work before.

Well take them out again, they are only going to make your situation worse.

@CaNsA I tried changing my advancedsetting.xml to what you sugested and the playback survived 1 second longer without buffering than it did with the other settings, progress :smiley:

@DBMandrake I tried without the advancedsetting.xml and it was exactly the same.

Sure, you have something else wrong too, but my point is those lines will cause you problems, so take them out.

yea i believe you :stuck_out_tongue: was not meant in a way that I didnt believe you, sorry if I came over like that.

OP?

Ow sorry forgot about that one, i have a kingston microsdhc 8gb class 10. Do i just have a bad card?

bump

Could you post your exports file please

My recommendation, since you are using a wired network connection, is to resolve your smb issues. It really shouldn’t be necessary in this scenario to complicate things with Hanewin.

How many pieces of network hardware are between the pi and the file server?

This may resolve the smb problem
http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows#Timeout