Buffering on mkv 4K remux file playing from HD attached to Vero 4K+

I agree but probably will do both because I already noticed my need for more storage space is larger than I first expected.

Sorry if a silly question, but do you have the switch turned to on for the ports that you are using?

Sam

There are no silly questions :slight_smile:

But yes, I had the switch turned on.

I tried different setups to see where a problem could be:
I disconnected the hub from the Vero to check if it was receiving power from its own source and it was.
I tried both drives on the second connection of the hub and both did not work on that one (blue light from switch was shining and HD was making clicking sounds).

For the last month I have had the first HD connected to the first spot of the hub and the second HD connected to the third spot (as the second spot of the hub never functioned). With that setup HD’s were spinning and I was able to write 2TB of data onto the second drive by way of SMB. Kodi library was also built with files that are on that drive.
Recently I did notice transfer rates dropped significantly (that is transfer through SMB from laptop to HD attached to hub on Vero). I need to do more checking if this has to do with HD or hub, but I have a feeling it is an HD issue.

This morning I tried to connect first HD again to first spot on hub (no problems) and second HD to third spot on hub (setup I have used for a month) but now the drive also was clicking as it did not receive enough power.
Every time I connected an HD to the hub I made sure the blue light was on as I switched the relevant hub connections on.

I am sure the hub is faulty. But I also think my second HD has a fault. As I do not have enough space to transfer the files it contains I will get a new HD to use and reformat the HD with issues.

I have to say that I had a power issue in my house a couple of weeks ago (all power gone) and I wonder if this issue has created a problem with my HD because it was downloading by way of Transmission on the Vero at that point. Maybe it got corrupted?

edit -

Is there a command to use in SSH to check transfer rates from the HD to the Vero? As in read speed during playback?
How can someone check the state of an ext4 drive by means of the Vero?

time sh -c “dd if=/mnt/<path to your disk>/<large movie file> of=/dev/null”
That will give you the time it took to read the file. Compare with filesize gives you the speed.

fsck.ext4

I am ordering a new HD and usb-hub together. Can you tell me if this hub has enough power to spin at least 2 HDs? As I have no idea about how much power is needed…

No idea. The PSU specifications aren’t shown there from what I can see.

Well power drawn should be written on the disk.
But 3A (means 1.5A) as indicated on the Amazon advert should be fine.

I need to check the disk when I am at home. Cannot find any specs about power on the internet. These are the HDs I use: 4TB version: WD Elements SE USB 3.0 External Hard Drive (500 GB - 5 TB) | Western Digital

I will order the hub. If it doesn’t work I can always send it back.

That hub should power those two drives but I really wouldn’t expect it to do any more than that. I personally would spend a couple extra dollars and buy an Anker or Sabrent.

I have the new HD in operation. 4K file I previously had issues with played with no problem. That means the issues was because of the previous HD.
Because transfer rates through the Vero are very slow I downloaded software on m Mac called extFS from Paragon Software. I let’s you attached external HDs in ext format and use it as any other HD on your mac. It has a ten day trial period.
No problems with copying files form one ext4 HD to the new ext4 HD using my mac. But when I connect the new HD to the Vero and access it by using SMB I cannot edit the files on there as they appear to be read only…

Does anyone know how to set permissions for the new ext4 drive? I could ssh into it and use some commands? I want total read/write permissions.

edit - files I transfer through SMB to new HD attached to Vero I can edit. But I cannot edit files that were transferred from drive to drive by using Mac. The only option I see now is to transfer 2,5 TB using SMB. Or by using both usb-connections on Vero… That is going to take an enormous time…

Any tips how to proceed?

Do you know how to use the command line?

yes

Find the files you are having trouble accessing and run ls -l and compare owner and group with the files you don’t have issues with. They’ll be found under /media.

I already found it by doing some searching on google.

I used sudo chown user /media/drive -R

Or something along those lines :slight_smile: