Buffering / Stuttering issues while playing 4k 60 fps content (iPhone)

Hello community,

I can play UHD content over network flawlessly. It starts directly and i don’t see any buffering.

But i have a problem when playing videos which i filmed on my iPhone 8. (x265, HEVC, 60 fps).

It’s constantly buffering and the video stutters all the way. I see the “buffering popup” in the upper right corner. It’s not a problem with bandwidth and not a problem of file size i guess. The problem is even present on videos with 300MB file size (1min length).

Whats wrong?! Is this because it’s a 60fps video? The other UHD content, which i mentioned working just fine, is 24fps or 29.97fps only, i guess.

I can make a video of the problem, when needed.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

Ok, here is the log:
http://paste.osmc.tv/payuyedeyo

Filename: 2018-01-20_10-30-26_IMG_7036.MOV

It’s a “raw” video file from my iPhone, no post editing or convertion.
H265, 2160p, 60fps, AAC
276MB file size

It’s constantly buffering at the beginning and then stuttering until the end. Simply not enjoyable :wink:

Thanks for you help

A video to reproduce will be great

No Problem. Here it is: https://cloud.myhost24.eu/index.php/s/2g4a6yKfoxJotb4

But the problem occurs with every othee iPhone 4k 60 fps video, too.

Thanks. I have a 6S and will try reproduce here too with my own content.

I think it’s a problem with the FPS of the Video. Not the resolution and not the file size.

Because 1080p 30fps iPhone-Videos play fine.
1080p 60FPS videos are extremely buffering first, but then play without stuttering, when the buffering is done.
4k 30FPS videos are buffering, and then play with a little bit of stuttering time by time.
4k 60FPS videos are buffering as hell and then stuttering as hell.

Perhaps it helps when the Buffering-size is increased? Don’t know …

Any news on this?
I can provide a video of the stuttering/buffering issues if needed.

I haven’t had a chance to look at this just yet

Can you try playing it back from local storage, such as a USB stick?

Sam

Will give this a try when i‘m back from work.

Keep you posted!

hey Sam,

the content is playing fine from a USB Stick. So it seems to be a problem when playing over network. i’m using NFS mounts.
But it’s only a problem with this “iPhone-content”. All other media files play just fine.

Any tips?!

You’re using Kodis’s NFS stack whereas there is also a kernel method with better performance for which you have to configure /etc/fstab, see Configuring fstab based NFS share mounts.

In summary:

• remove your current NFS based source from kodi
  • configure NFS access using /etc/fstab
  • re-insert the source in Kodi but think about it is now a location in the root file system

Thx, i will give this a try

OK, gave it a try and it worked out well!

So it’s a problem with the standard NFS / SMB mounts within kodi.
The fstab nfs method indeed performs much better.

Thanks for your help!