BUffering when streaming 4k files from a PC \ NIC upgrade

That still is not a complete log. It’s missing the Kodi log, sources.xml and much more. Please re-read the log post again carefully!

OK, will look again in about a week (unfortunately have a family bereavement to deal with now). Thanks

Hi,

Im back again, so hope you will all indulge me further. I checked again, and today it seemed a bit better despite nothing further being changed and no system updates either.

I read the article again twice. The logs are here and unsanitised:

https://paste.osmc.tv/dehekaruho

I hope this is sufficient, but let me know if not.

Thank-you.

<source>
            <name>4KVideo</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://PROMETHEUS/4KVideo/</path>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>

Your added source is still using Kodi SMB instead of the local fstab mounts! Change this video source to /mnt/4KVideo.

Also: the device called ‘PROMETHEUS’. Does it have a static IP? This usually makes opening shares more reliable and sometimes even a bit quicker; because it doesn’t need to look up the hostname each time.

Cheers

Sam

Yes, I’m not surprised at all. I was trying different steps on many nights, so I expected it to be an inconsistent jumble. I removed the SMB mounts within the GUI and within Video\Files I configured a bunch of shortcuts to various video folders. I tried two of the problematic films and it appeared to be improvement in playing them from the start as both were smooth. The buffering followed by source read error was still apparent when I fast forwarded within the films though. I can live with that if the films can play OK though, so will try and watch one soon beginning to end to test. Looking reasonably positive at the moment, so thanks.

Yes, my desktop PC has a static IP address on a second NIC I installed on it. This is what is configured on the Vero.

One final question. I noticed that the library has lots of duplicate entries and films can be listed 5 times. Now the Video\files shortcuts I created use the same initial mount point, but go to specified child folders within them. I do not see why this duplication would occurr, as I am not repeatedly pointing at the top level. Any advice on that please? This is a minor issue for sure.

Thanks

Did you run the clean library function yet?

Hi. I did previously and it did not do much. However, I did again and it got rid of quite a few duplicates - probably because it was done following other configuration changes. Thanks for your help