Can anybody recommend a decent gigabit usb adaptor?

Were you playing the same file?
What does the fstab entry look like?

Yeah itā€™s the la la land file listed at the top. Although my 50gb crouching tiger hidden dragon also showed the same problem. Without Fstab, it would fall apart around 5-10 mins in. This time I got to around the hour mark.

How do you mean what does the fstab look like?

Hi Andrew,

Please post the output of:

cat /etc/fstab

Thanks Tom.

No problem. This is what I get
osmc@osmc:~$ cat /etc/fstab

rootfs is not mounted in fstab as we do it via initramfs. Uncomment for remount (slower boot)

#/dev/vero-nand/root / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 0
//10.0.1.106/Public/4K\040videos /mnt/4k_videos cifs x-systemd.automount,noauto,rw,iocharset=utf8,username=andrew.stirling,password=,uid=osmc,gid=osmc,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770 0 0

Hi,

Your fstab mount looks ok. Have you looked at modifying the kodi video cache:

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO%3AModify_the_video_cache

This should help with buffering/stuttering issues.

Alternatively provide some logs, it will give use a better idea of whats going on.

Thanks Tom.

Is smb mount thru fstab the way to go? Or are other protocols better/less overhead? Running a nas4free-box, and probably have a few to choose between.

NFS is the most native and performant choice.

Indeed. But using an fstab based mount is always the best option.

Sam

I actually ran NFS vs SMB benchmark accessing same file on Windows server using USB gigabit adapter.

As per Windows task manager it was 265mbps for NFS vs 335mbps for SMB, both mounted via fstab.

Not sure if the reason behind that was that built-in Windows Server 2012 NFS server did not work with Vero so I installed some 3rd party one called WinNFSd

Thatā€™ll be it.

Any recommended way to setup Windows NFS to work with OSMC/Linux? The NFS share is discoverable but is empty. I tried to google it but still havenā€™t found anything helpful.

Upd never mind, found that manual from Microsoft, will give it a try.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/edc0f717-4711-4a43-b852-f4bf40de9c8d/installed-nfs-server-on-2k8-cant-mount-from-linux?forum=winserverfiles

If you are sharing from a Windows server stick with SMB.

Pushing an old topicā€¦ anyone has a recommendation for a usb gigabit adaptor that is proven to give great transfer rates on the Vero 4k?

You can check this post.

But I think you might have also already read that 99% of files can be played via the 100 MBit with the right settings

I canā€™t really recommend the TRENDnet USB 3.0 Gigabit adapter since I didnā€™t get any improved speeds. What I found to be the solution was to optimize my WIFI AC connection. I installed an AP in the same room as the Vero, and now I have no problems with speed at all. Even some very high bitrate movies like John Wick (1) and the latest Transformers who both have bitrates that exceeds 100 Mbit/sec plays withtout any misbehaviour. My AP is a D-Link DIR-865, older model I had laying around. I only use it as AP, no lan. My TV is a SONY A1 65" and Iā€™m sitting 3,5 mtrs away, truly astonishing picture quality from the Vero compaired to Netflix 4K :slight_smile: Sound is Dolby Atmos or DTS-HD, and the receiver is a Marantz SR 8012. So high bitrates, but no problem anymore, thanks to good stable WIFI AC :slight_smile:

this one is working here: https://www.anker.com/products/variant/USB-3.0-to-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/A7610011 - plug&play without any problems

iperf ā€œsaysā€ the ethernet-connection is around 180 - 200 Mbit (tested over Kodi-NFS-connection, I added the fstab-NFS-connection later and did not measure it)

John Wick was driving and shooting fine over this connection without dropping (almost) any frames for the first hour of the movie (did not look further, ran out of time). Strangely enough there were two or three (small) skips, but during a dialogue-scene where the bandwidth was not extremely high. I guess there is a problem with the ripā€¦

That sounds alot like what uniquedk is reportingā€¦ transfer speeds up to 200 mbit/s but not completely stable.

I think the problem in the Wick case is not the connection, but the source material. I noticed only three frame drops in a very short time frame (maybe one minute of the movie). And these drops occured always at the same time. The rest of the film played perfectly fine.

no issues with any other high bitrate files?

not yet. But I only had time for a few short views into some movies and one 60 minutes documentary