Can I upgrade Alph4 to RC2?

My Pi2 is running Alpha 4 with Transmission and FlexGet in the background.

Can I apt-get update, upgrade, dist-upgrade or do I need to start from scratch with a new image?

You are strongly advised to avoid complications by starting from scratch.
RC1 is the first from which updating/upgrading is supported.
Derek

It’s more than strongly advised.

You CANT upgrade from RC4 (or earlier) to RC1 or later. RC1 is the cutoff point from which you can upgrade to new versions.

That is unfortunate. Alpha 4 is working fine so I guess “if it aint broke, don’t fix it” applies. Any good reason to upgrade?

I have a spare Micro SD card so maybe I will play with that to satisfy my curiosity.

Alpha 4 is working fine so I guess “if it aint broke, don’t fix it” applies.

No, that should not apply to alpha builds, if you think it does, good luck to you, you’ll rec’v no official support for any issues. The vast majority of changes would be bug fixes… Look for yourself… Blog - OSMC

Yes - if you don’t you will never receive any future Kodi versions when they are released, you won’t get access to the App Store, you won’t have the latest OSMC settings addon (from memory the version in Alpha 4 didn’t even have networking settings let alone bluetooth, remote control, log uploader etc) fixed/improved wifi drivers and you won’t get any bug fixes or technical support on the forum.

So yes, there are a lot of reasons to reinstall, if not right now, in the near future.

OK, point(s) taken. Digging out the spare card to start rebuilding - yet again.

If I install RC2, will the upgrade path be valid from there on or will I have to redo all this again and again?

We are ensuring an upgrade path from RC1 onwards.

1 Like